Miracle! Man Hit by Acela Train Survives

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: It's amazing that he's still alive.I feel so bad for him.It's amazing that he's still alive.I feel so bad for him.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Man Hit By Acela Train Survives
Witnesses Say Victim Didn't Know What Hit Him
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cnn-news/18162818/detail.html
. . . .
The victim, identified as Jack Daniels, 61, of Canton, was crossing the tracks at the Canton Junction Station about 11:20 a.m. Thursday when he was hit by a northbound Amtrak Acela train heading from New York to Boston which was speeding by at 90 mph.

"I said, 'Sir, you just got hit by a train.' He says, 'No, I didn't.' I go, 'Yes, you did,' and I put my arms around him ... and he goes, 'Where's my teeth?' and his back was ripped, all the way down," witness Dave Fortin said.

He said the man was clearly in shock and refused to lie down afterward.

"He was just looking for his teeth. His teeth were on the ground," Fortin said.

Daniels was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital with several non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

He told onlookers he tried the dangerous crossing because he wanted to get a cup of coffee at a nearby shop.

One witness said he couldn't believe Daniels survived.

. . . .

"It comes very, very fast. He probably had about a second, a second and a half, to make a decision," MBTA Transit Police Sgt. Preston Horton said.

. . . .
It sounds like Mr. Daniels was brushed by the train, and probably was whirled around.

He's very lucky indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think that it was telling of anything that his name is Jack Daniels? :uhh: Definitely lucky to be alive.

Reminds of a story where a man was struck by thunder many times and survived...

Best wishes to those.

That must be some damn good coffee.

Jack Daniels. I feel sorry for that guy. All the jokes he has to live through, especially if he's ever at a party with alcohol or at a bar. Jesus...

If anything, this is God saying "Hahah, I'm not done with you yet!"

instant_ramen said:
Reminds of a story where a man was struck by thunder many times and survived...

I've been struck by thunder MANY, MANY times in my 16 years. Still kickin'. ;)

binzing said:
I've been struck by thunder MANY, MANY times in my 16 years. Still kickin'. ;)

Ha ha, those were my thoughts too when I read that.

Redbelly98 said:
Ha ha, those were my thoughts too when I read that.

Except, not the 16 years part :tongue2:

lisab said:
Except, not the 16 years part :tongue2:

Right! :sigh: ... or, I could have thought that part 3 times. ("I've been struck by thunder many times in my first 16 years. I've been struck many times in my 2nd 16 years. Etc.")

jack daniels... i was hanging out with him the other night. i don't remember though :X

crazy though!

Amazing!

That state of shock after a physical trauma is very strange. For some reason you don't want to admit that you're hurt.

a lot of times stuff like that doesn't hurt until you get to the hospital and they start stitching you up.

Proton Soup said:
a lot of times stuff like that doesn't hurt until you get to the hospital and they start stitching you up.

or two days later when the medication starts to wear off.

Where I work in media coverage, I see stories of people getting hit by trains about every week. One of the more memorable examples was a man walking down a track scratching off a lottery ticket. The train blared several times, but he never noticed. Probably didn't know what hit him, either. --Eh, I guess he wasn't lucky.

There was a college student in Chico, California, who was walking down the railroad tracks while listening to music through headphones. He never heard it coming.

offtheleft said:
or two days later when the medication starts to wear off.

or he sobers up

1. How did the man survive being hit by a high-speed train like the Acela?

According to the initial reports, the man was able to survive the impact due to a combination of luck and the design of the train. The Acela has a streamlined front that helps to redirect the force of impact away from the person. Additionally, the train was likely traveling at a slower speed due to the approaching station, reducing the overall impact.

2. What injuries did the man sustain from being hit by the Acela?

The man suffered several serious injuries, including broken bones and internal bleeding. However, he was conscious and able to communicate with emergency responders, suggesting that he did not sustain any severe head trauma or spinal injuries.

3. Are there any other documented cases of people surviving being hit by a high-speed train?

Yes, there have been several documented cases of people surviving being hit by high-speed trains, although they are rare. In most cases, the person was able to survive due to the design of the train, the location of the impact, and the individual's body position at the time of the accident.

4. What factors could have contributed to the man's survival?

In addition to the design of the train, some factors that may have contributed to the man's survival include his overall health and physical condition, the angle and location of the impact, and the speed of the train at the time of the accident. It is also possible that the man had a strong survival instinct and was able to react quickly to protect himself.

5. How can train accidents like this be prevented in the future?

Train accidents, including people being hit by trains, are often preventable through proper safety measures and precautions. Some potential solutions could include better signage and warning systems near train tracks, stricter safety regulations for train operators, and improved education and awareness for pedestrians and cyclists around train tracks.