L'Hospital's Rule: Solving Limits with Infinity - Get Help Now!

• Thread starter needhlpcalc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about L'Hospital's problem, specifically on finding the limit of x - ln(1+2e^x) as x approaches infinity. The participants discuss different approaches and rules, including the rule of logs and l'Hospital's rule. In the end, the conversation leads to the conclusion that the answer is infinity.
needhlpcalc
L'Hospitals problem...NEED HELP!

This problem is on a test that our teacher said we could research if we wanted...and we are finishing it tomorrow. I have NO CLUE how to approach it and need help!

Homework Statement

lim x->infinity [tex]
x - ln(1+2e^x)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so, its infinity - infinity, which is indeterminate.

I did the limit function on my TI-89, and it just keeps spitting the original equation back at me as the answer. I then graphed the function on my TI-89, and when it goes past x=2302, the graph is undefined. HOWEVER, when i go into the table, the values after 2302 go to -infinity, so I think that's what the answer's supposed to be...but I have no idea how to set up the quotient and solve using L'Hospital's Rule...PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't use l'Hopital on that! Write (1+2e^x)=(e^x)*(2+1/e^x) and use rules of logs.

...i don't quite follow where you're going with that...can you elaborate more please?

It's your turn to elaborate. Simplify ln((e^x)*(2+1/e^x)).

[tex]
x - {ln[(e^x)(2 + 1/e^x)]}
[/tex]

rule of logs:
[tex]
x - [ln(e^x) + ln(2 + 1/e^x)]
[/tex]

cancel out ln(e^x)
[tex]
x - x - ln(2 + 1/e^x)
[/tex]

plug in the limit:

[tex]
=infinity- 1 - ln(2)
[/tex]

[tex]
=infinity
[/tex]

+infinity is the answer? when my calc says -infinity?

Last edited:

ln(e^x)=x; not 1.

final solution shoud be ln(2)

Oops...dumb mistake. My bad. I feel like a retard. :(

ohhh...ok I think I got it. Thanks to all! :)

Last edited:

To apply l'Hospital's rule recall that since [tex]e^x[/tex] is a continuous function you can "move" limits in and out of an exponential.

Thus the limit you want being [tex]L=\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x)[/tex],

[tex]\exp({\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x))= \lim_{x\to \infty} e^{f(x)-g(x)} [/tex]

Then apply rules of exponentials:
[tex]\exp(\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x))= \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{e^{f(x)}}{e^{g(x)}}[/tex]

You can now apply l'Hospital's rule on this limit of a quotient and the answer is the exponential of your desired limit. (if it is finite and positive).

Now there may be a more direct way to calculate but this is how you deal with differences of infinities in general so you will want to practice this method.

There is a bit more to it... I should rather have written, given the exponential function is continuous:
[tex] \lim_{x\to a}e^{h(x)} = \lim_{y\to L} e^y[/tex] where [tex] L = \lim_{x\to a} h(x)[/tex].
But this is the same thing provided the limit L is finite. It just generalizes to the case where L is infinite.

But the result is that for your limit:
[tex] \lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x) = \ln\left[ \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{e^{f(x)}}{e^{g(x)}}\right] [/tex]
provided this logarithm is well defined.

1. What is L'Hospital's problem?

L'Hospital's problem, also known as L'Hospital's rule, is a mathematical theorem that helps in evaluating limits of indeterminate forms. It was first introduced by the French mathematician Guillaume de l'Hospital in the 17th century.

2. How does L'Hospital's rule work?

L'Hospital's rule states that for an indeterminate form of the type 0/0 or ∞/∞, the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then finding the limit of the resulting fraction. This process can be repeated if necessary until a non-indeterminate form is obtained.

3. What are some common applications of L'Hospital's rule?

L'Hospital's rule is commonly used in calculus to evaluate limits that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is also useful in finding asymptotes of functions and determining the convergence or divergence of series.

4. Are there any limitations to L'Hospital's rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule can only be applied to indeterminate forms of the type 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for other types of indeterminate forms such as 1^∞ or 0^0. Additionally, the rule may not always give the correct result and other methods may need to be used.

5. How can I practice using L'Hospital's rule?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that provide practice problems for L'Hospital's rule. These problems often include step-by-step solutions to help you understand the process. You can also create your own problems by finding functions with indeterminate forms and applying the rule to solve them.