How close we are as to being able to utilize nanobots?

• Thread starter randeezy
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no available technology or industrial production of nanobots. It is estimated that nanobots are at least 10 years away from being utilized. While there is some development in nanotechnology, the concept of "autonomous" nanobots seems impossible due to violations of thermodynamics. However, there is potential for the use of nanotechnology in medicine and other fields. There is also ongoing research and development in nanomaterials and nanocircuits. There is a company in Japan working on something called NASRO, but its completion and effectiveness are uncertain.
randeezy
Does anyone know how close we are as to being able to utilize nanobots?

Engineering news on Phys.org

There are no devices available, no industrial production of them and I haven't even seen a proof-of-concept piece. I would say that nanobots are at least 10 years away. Likely even further but 10 years is a long time and predicting future is hard enough already.

true. is there any type of nanotech out there? i think there is. also, 10 years goes by pretty fast, espicially in today's world...

randeezy said:
Does anyone know how close we are as to being able to utilize nanobots?

There are some pretty good reasons to believe that "autonomous" nanobots (as seen in sci-fi) are impossible, mainly because most(all?) of the designs that have been suggested so far violate the laws of thermodynamics in one way or another.
This does not mean that e.g. some forms of "nanodelivery" systems will never be used in medicine, but there is no probably no need to worry about a "grey goo" consisting of self-replicating nanobots.

well there was a whole discussion with a board of scientists that said the technology in the book Prey by Michael Crichton was pretty plausible...

maybe... just maybe...

randeezy said:
true. is there any type of nanotech out there? i think there is. also, 10 years goes by pretty fast, espicially in today's world...

People often times confuse nanotechnology with small ships that fly through our arteries blasting away plaque with laser cannons. The roots of the word simply means stuff that's really small. There is a lot of work in nanomaterials that I know of. Building nanocircuits and things like that are also becoming more common.

I know there's a company in Japan that's working on something called NASRO. which stands for Nano-sized Autonomous Semi-Robotic Organism. I hear that they're nearing completion... maybe, who knows...

1. How small are nanobots?

Nanobots are extremely small machines that typically measure between 1 to 100 nanometers in size. To put this into perspective, a human hair is about 100,000 nanometers in diameter.

2. What are the potential uses of nanobots?

Nanobots have a wide range of potential uses in various fields, including medicine, energy, and electronics. Some examples include targeted drug delivery, environmental remediation, and improving battery performance.

3. How close are we to being able to utilize nanobots?

There have been significant advancements in nanotechnology in recent years, but we are still in the early stages of utilizing nanobots. While researchers have successfully developed and tested nanobots in laboratory settings, there are still many challenges to overcome before they can be used in practical applications.

4. What are some of the challenges in utilizing nanobots?

One of the main challenges in utilizing nanobots is controlling their movements and interactions at such a small scale. Additionally, ensuring the safety and effectiveness of nanobots in various environments is also a major challenge.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of nanobots?

As with any new technology, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of nanobots. Some potential concerns include unintended consequences and potential misuse of nanobots, as well as the impact on privacy and autonomy in healthcare settings.