What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Cyrus said:
I like a woman that cooks and cleans and knows her place.
Cyrus, that is funny in a terrible way.:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
You don't know him yet Newspeak, lol.

Oh my goodness, and yet being a woman, I think it's hilarious!

mcknia07 said:
Oh my goodness, and yet being a woman, I think it's hilarious!
Thank God, I thought I was going to get banned there for a second.:eek:
Forgive me mcknia07

mcknia07 said:
And let me guess, you want her to wear a pretty little dress and heels to do those things too

Just heels. Nothing else but heels.

Ah, I have no banning powers here, well not YET anyways :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
Just heels. Nothing else but heels.

Oh ok, that's not so bad, you aren't asking for too much...

mcknia07 said:
Oh ok, that's not so bad, you aren't asking for too much...

Exactly, give a woman an inch and then they want a mile...

Geshh, what more could they want...

mcknia07 said:
Geshh, what more could they want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQaSpaKGY2I&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avsp_UJ3mrY

now THAT's A WIFE!

Whats great, I was having dinner with some friends when some old people were at the table next to us. The lady (In her 70s) was saying "back in my dayyy, they didnt let us girls wear pants. We had to wear dresses or skirts".

HAHAAHH, I wanted to hug her and say ahhhhhhh the good ole days.

Well, I guess that would come in hand, instead of the 'ol washboard you have lying around.

Ahh, the life it would have been to live back in the old days. I wouldn't mind, actually, wearing dresses and skirts all the time. But that's about the only good part...

I can see the wheels turning and an alliance starting to form...

:rofl::rofl: Good stuff Cyrus.

don't forget this classic. and cyrus makes a good point. i could care less if a woman is a science nerd. in fact, it might be better if she were an art nerd. intelligence is important, but not nearly as important as women might wish. in fact, they've got a lot less variability in IQ than males. warmth and affection are more important. looks are important. outward signs of fertility are important, like waist to hips ratio (don't be a fatty) and youth.

http://www.insureitrite.com/Good%20WIfe%20Housekeeping%201955.gif [Broken]

1227946269368.jpg

Oh my god, you guys are killing me!:rofl::rofl:
I can see why women dislike us.
I think we have strayed off topic too far.:rofl:

Nope, still pretty much on topic from what I can tell. Since us girls do want to know what you fellows want...

Poor MissSilvy. Her lovely thread innocently asking what a nerd wants has been turned into a torrent of chauvinism. :rolleyes:

Proton Soup said:
http://www.insureitrite.com/Good%20WIfe%20Housekeeping%201955.gif [Broken]
[/URL]
This is great. I'm going to show it to my wife right now.

Edit: Guys, under no circumstances should you show this to your wives.

MissSilvy said:
Let's turn the tables for a second: what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

How are you defining 'nerdy'? Some people here appear to be using 'intelligent' and 'nerdy' interchangeably, whereas I would say the latter is a subset of the former, but not vice versa.

cristo said:
How are you defining 'nerdy'? Some people here appear to be using 'intelligent' and 'nerdy' interchangeably, whereas I would say the latter is a subset of the former, but not vice versa.
Within the context of the words used, 'nerdy' is equivalent to 'intelligent but deficient in social skills'.

BTW, is it too late to answer the OP's original question with: "A pulse"?

jimmysnyder said:
This is great. I'm going to show it to my wife right now.

Edit: Guys, under no circumstances should you show this to your wives.

:rofl:

I learned this the hard way too!

montoyas7940 said:
:rofl:

I learned this the hard way too!

Seriously, I wouldn't want to get beaten to death of this.

And honestly, I would never want my wife to be my servant either. I wouldn't want anybody to be my servant.

DaveC426913 said:
Within the context of the words used, 'nerdy' is equivalent to 'intelligent but deficient in social skills'.

BTW, is it too late to answer the OP's original question with: "A pulse"?

I figured that was going to be the answer to the following exchange. ;)

Cyrus said:
HUUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE cans.

mcknia07 said:
What a tupical guy answer, but there has to be more...

Cyrus said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avsp_UJ3mrY

now THAT's A WIFE!

Whats great, I was having dinner with some friends when some old people were at the table next to us. The lady (In her 70s) was saying "back in my dayyy, they didnt let us girls wear pants. We had to wear dresses or skirts".

HAHAAHH, I wanted to hug her and say ahhhhhhh the good ole days.

Well...a skirt would be nice once in a while. Personally, I don't find pants--and especially NOT the dreaded pants suit (I'm looking at you and then looking away Hillary Clinton for what you've done to women's fashion!)--at all feminine, or "powerful" for that matter. Looks like a tent.

316aX1nJWlL._AA280_.jpg

Strong, powerful women (in my humble opinion) could pull off long dresses even...

Wax_Figure_of_Catherine_the_Great.jpg

It is all in the eyes...

2571944366_b6f18e31d7.jpg

I didn't know I was so much like that Good Wifes ad. In these cooler months I also light a fire, of course its under Hubbys A$$. And they are right, it gives me quite a lift too.

moose said:
I think nerdy guys like pretty girls who are somewhat intelligent (at the very least) and quirky.

Actually, I prefer women that are very cerebral, and humanitarian. I like one smarter than myself even (although I would never say that I am at all that smart to begin with). I like someone I can admire and learn from, and that I can give my own talents too.

The problem with the one I love though, is that SHE isn't actually very good at expressing her feelings. I've been writing to her faithfully for 11 (that's right ELEVEN) years; but the most I have in return is 2 or 3 cards (which I hold dear to my heart of course, though I can tell she struggled in getting them out).

hypatia said:
I didn't know I was so much like that Good Wifes ad. In these cooler months I also light a fire, of course its under Hubbys A$$. And they are right, it gives me quite a lift too.

Personally, the only thing I like about that commercial is the accent of the older lady.

I look for people who aren't nerds in the least. I'm sorry, but my work is boring. I don't want to discuss it with people outside of my work, and I sure as hell don't want to mix my love life and work life together.

For looks I'm a fan of the cute/innocent look. "Sexy" and "hot" girls would make me think about how many other twinkies were in her kitchen sinky if you will.

For personality, well I'm odd. I love nothing more than helping people through problems so if the girl has a lot of problems she needs or wants help with the better. At the same time though, it's nice to be able to have fun and discuss things that aren't bad.

Also, I don't believe in marriage or children. So if there's someone out there who often has troubles, has a cute face, and doesn't want to file taxes jointly you know where to reach me!

Aside from the 1940s housewifery going on; Christ, there's large differences in opinions. The one issue I'm semi-confused about is whether a girl is intelligent in science or intelligent in the humanities.

You catch a lot of interesting conversation hanging around our physics department. One I was sitting in the corner, facing the wall and reading a book. Three guys come in and start loudly talking about their girl woes. One guy says "Psh, man. That's why you need to date liberal arts girls. They're cute but they'll never be smarter than you." When you say 'not a nerd', do you mean that having long conversations about physics isn't important or more in the traditional sense, like that a socially-awkward girl who can only talk about DnD is out, or both?

Thanks for the replies guys and girls!

There is a saying. It goes like this: Opposites attract.

Cyrus said:
There is a saying. It goes like this: Opposites attract.

And sayings are always correct? You can easily say that people need to be similar for a relationship to work ;)

<h2>1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?</h2><p>Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.</p><h2>2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.</p><h2>3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.</p><h2>4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?</h2><p>Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.</p><h2>5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?</h2><p>The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.</p>

1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?

Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.

2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?

Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.

3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?

Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.

4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?

Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.

5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?

The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.