Conductivity of Copper Against Copper

In summary, when two pieces of copper are held together and a current is run through the connection, the resistance will ultimately be that of a single piece of copper. This is known as "contact resistance" and can vary depending on factors such as the pressure and surface texture of the connection. Achieving a reliable and long-lasting contact is an important consideration in connector design.
chris2547
Hi I was wondering if I took two peices of copper and held them together then ran a current through the connection what would the resistance of that be? Would it theoritically be zero, but in real life be some very small but insignificant amount?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on details of how flat, smooth and clean the surfaces are and how much force you put on them to push them together.
Ultimately they join into one piece of copper and then the resistance is just that of a single piece of copper.

chris2547 said:
Hi I was wondering if I took two peices of copper and held them together then ran a current through the connection what would the resistance of that be? Would it theoritically be zero, but in real life be some very small but insignificant amount?

Thanks

That falls under the term "contact resistance", and depends on the pressure and the surface texture, etc.

The subject of "contact resistance" and reliability is a whole area of study when it comes to connectors -- how can you make the most reliable and long-lived contact possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_resistance

EDIT -- mgp_phys beats me to the punch again...

What is the conductivity of copper?

The conductivity of copper is 58.5 x 106 S/m at room temperature.

How does the conductivity of copper compare to other metals?

Copper has one of the highest conductivities among common metals, second only to silver.

Why is copper commonly used in electrical wiring?

Due to its high conductivity, copper is an excellent material for conducting electricity. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to work with.

Does the conductivity of copper change with temperature?

Yes, the conductivity of copper decreases as temperature increases. This is because heat causes the atoms in copper to vibrate more, impeding the flow of electrons.

Can the conductivity of copper be affected by impurities?

Yes, impurities in copper can decrease its conductivity. This is why high-quality copper is often used for electrical applications.