Find the tension of the system (picture included)

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where they are only given information about the tensions in the system and has little to no information on how to approach the problem. They are asking for help with finding the angles between the tensions and the distance between the 2 walls.
fern518

Homework Statement

In order to simplify this process and avoid possible errors I have included the scanned image of the problem from my textbook. (Let me know if the picture is too small and I will upload a larger one)

ta4p6u.jpg

Homework Equations

Mostly just free body diagrams..

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I split the tensions on the right and left side of the pulley as T1(from A to B) and T2(from B to C) and once I found those out I would add them together to find the total tension of the system.
For this I know I have to find the forces in the x and y directions and I have come up with the necessary equations to solve the problem:

Fx: T2cos(phi) - T1sin(theta) (equation 1)

Fy: T2sin(phi) + T1sin(theta) - 50 (equation 2)

Using equation 1, I solved for T2 in terms of T1 and got :

T2 = T1sin(theta)/cos(phi)

Then I plugged T2 into equation 2:

T1tan(phi)sin(theta) + T1sin(theta) = 50

So my problem is basically this, I need at least one of the angles (phi or theta) for me to solve this problem, however I have very little clue as to how to obtain either one. I know I am supposed to use the fact that the length of the cable is 10feet and the distance between the walls supporting the cable is 8 feet but I really don't know how to approach this.

Thank you for any and all assistance you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
fern518 said:

Homework Statement

In order to simplify this process and avoid possible errors I have included the scanned image of the problem from my textbook. (Let me know if the picture is too small and I will upload a larger one)

ta4p6u.jpg

Homework Equations

Mostly just free body diagrams..

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I split the tensions on the right and left side of the pulley as T1(from A to B) and T2(from B to C) and once I found those out I would add them together to find the total tension of the system.
If the pulley is frictionless, which I assume it is, the tensions on each side are equal. In the x direction ,their x components must add algebraically to zero, and their y components must add up to the weight.
Fx: T2cos(phi) - T1sin why sin?(theta) (equation 1) equals___?

Fy: T2sin(phi) + T1sin(theta) - 50 (equation 2)equals__?

Using equation 1, I solved for T2 in terms of T1 and got :

T2 = T1sin(theta)/cos(phi)

Then I plugged T2 into equation 2:

T1tan(phi)sin(theta) + T1sin(theta) = 50

So my problem is basically this, I need at least one of the angles (phi or theta) for me to solve this problem, however I have very little clue as to how to obtain either one. I know I am supposed to use the fact that the length of the cable is 10feet and the distance between the walls supporting the cable is 8 feet but I really don't know how to approach this.

Thank you for any and all assistance you can provide.
If T1 =T2, what must the angles be?

Oh sorry about that:

Fx: T2cos(phi) - T1cos(theta) = 0

Fy: T2sin(phi) + T1sin(theta) = 50

I knew they had to equal 0 and 50 respectively, but the sin part was a careless error on my part.

But anyways, sp as you were saying, if t1=t2 should the angles be equal to each other?

I think that's what PhanthomJay is hinting at, however, I thought that would only be true if the rope was hung at equivalent heights? Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part?

That was my issue too. The fact that the cable is not at the same height led me to think that the angles were not the same. I hope I am wrong because if they do happen to be the same this would make the solution to the problem much easier.

o sorry I missed that; so is the elevation given ?

Nope, all that is given is what is shown in the picture, the length of the cable and the distance between the 2 walls.

I know some kind of trigonometry is involved here, but I really don't know how to approach it..

At first I was considering making a triangle that goes from one wall to another so one side is 8 ft, then from point A to point C as the hypotenuse, and then from part C to the top of part like this:

152gar5.jpg

Would it be wrong to write the distance of the hypotenuse as 10 ft then use pythagorean theorem to determine the difference in height between A and C as 6 ft?

This is about as far as I can go..

If you use a hypotenuse of 10 ft then the sag is not taken into consideration. If the weight was fixed at a point then two tensions would exist. So, the tension in this case is expessed as

T = W/(sin(theta) + sin(phi))

The problem is to solve for sin(theta) and sin(phi). To solve, draw a vertical line through the pulley center creating two triangles. Let the horizontal distance from the left wall to the vertical line be D, then the remaining distance is 8 - D. Similarly, let the cable length from the left wall to the pulley center (the pulley is small) be L and the remaining length be 10 - L. Express the sines and cosines of theta and phi in terms of D, L, 8 - D, 10 - L. i.e.

cos(theta) = D/L, cos(phi) = (8 - D)/(10 - L), sin(theta) = sqrt(L2 - D2)/L, and
sin(phi) = sqrt((10 - L)2 - (8 - D)2)/(10 - L). Then use cos2 + sin2 =1. This will give two equations with two unknows, L and D. Solve for L and D then you can determine sin(theta) and sin(phi).

Man thanks a lot chrisk. I still have to solve for L and D but I now know exactly how to approach the problem and solve it.

thanks again

1. What is tension in a system?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is the force that keeps an object in place or causes it to move in a certain direction.

2. How do you calculate tension in a system?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F * sinθ, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the applied force and the direction of the string or rope. Alternatively, you can also use the formula T = m * g, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the tension in a system?

The tension in a system is affected by various factors, including the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, the length and material of the string or rope, and the force applied by external factors such as gravity or friction.

4. How does tension impact the stability of a system?

Tension plays a significant role in maintaining the stability of a system. If the tension is too low, the system may collapse or become unstable. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can cause the system to break or damage the components. Therefore, it is essential to find the appropriate tension for a system to maintain its stability.

5. How can tension be adjusted in a system?

Tension can be adjusted in a system by changing the force applied, altering the angle at which the force is applied, or adjusting the length or material of the string or rope. These changes will affect the tension in the system and can be manipulated to achieve the desired tension for the system to function properly.