Style men find more attractive

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, both men and women find round tipped nails more attractive than square tipped nails. However, men prefer square tipped nails while women prefer round tipped nails. Why are long fingernails our only choices? Some people think that long fingernails are attractive, while others find them creepy. There should be an option for both men and women to choose round or square tips, and either long or short fingernails.

Which fingernails are more attractive?

• I'm male, I prefer square tips

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I'm male, I prefer round tips

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • I'm female, I prefer square tips

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I'm female, I prefer round tips

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is something that I've been curious about for a long time. I really want to know which style men find more attractive, but since everyone loves polls, I will allow both men and women to vote.

I want to know, do you think round tip or square tipped nails are more attractive?

Here are the examples.

Round tipped

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8411/roundtipsap4.jpg

Square tipped

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7232/squaretipsdu5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You could minimize variables by making them both without polish (or with, I suppose).

Why are long fingernails our only choices? :tongue:

It's not so much whether square or round, as it is how they are used.

Hurkyl said:
You could minimize variables by making them both without polish (or with, I suppose).

You would not believe how hard it was to find pictures of round tipped fingernails. And the painted square tips all had decals and jewelry on them.

here's a rounder tip french manicure to compare to the square tip.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5528/roundtipfrenchbn5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Google for "stock fingernail photo" :smile:

On women, my personal favorites are rounded, though masochists could opt for squared in the bedroom, I suppose. My cousin's younger daughter got in the habit of getting applied nails like those in the second image, and developed a nasty nail-fungus that was ugly and hard to get rid of. When I was doing consulting work in the deep south in the '90s, it seemed like a fad that most black female fast-food workers had to have silver or gold-plated nail-covers with engraving, little diamonds, etc on them. After my cousin's girl developed that nail-fungus, I had to think "how many of these young ladies are stuck with really ugly, damaged, infected nails because of vanity?".

I have always kept the fingernails (rounded) on my right hand a bit long, to allow finger-picking on guitar, but no longer than the fleshy part of the fingers. Need both flesh and nail for control and modulation of attack.

"I'm male, I prefer round tips "

I find them round tips better than square tips (which look hideous and unnatural).

But, I would have voted:
"I'm male, I dislike both round and square" if that was available.

Hurkyl said:
Agreed - there should be an option "I'm male - I prefer boobs".

russ_watters said:
Do you prefer them round or square?

What? I voted before I read the first post, I thought this was about normal fingernails (aka, real)

I prefer real fingernails over false ones. In fact, I don't like false ones at all.

Last edited:

russ_watters said:

:rofl:

I'm female and I like square tips. On females. I get completely creeped out when I see long nails on guys.

russ_watters said:
Or modest boobs, and well-rounded butts. There seems to be something going on in that regard. Very seldom do I see a woman with both, though nowadays the boob part can be purchased as an add-on.

Round or Square?

24pkyug.jpg
r0rte0.jpg

I love the square tips, and I'm female. Though I have never had them, I just think they look nicer. I do plan to get them sometime, when I have the money.

Long nails on guys...yeah I find it kinda creepy, too.

I like square tips, but they have to be done perfectly and not be too long.

Last edited:

I like them round, that way they look less like tentacles. I have naturally long nails, they just keep on growing and don't damage.. until a few weeks when they all decided to split and break off :cry: Now I need to wait for the damaged part to grow out, I blame a new (it was an expensive one) nailcutter.

I prefer round out of the choices, but I'm no fan of long nails on anyone.

Mine are usually worn down by the amount of head scratching i do, besides that i keep them short to stop oil and greaes building up under them ,and besides that a guy would have to be a pansy to worry about his finger nail shape.

Round seems more practical since it conforms to the contour of the finger tip. Personally, I find the corner of fingernails irritating, so I keep mine trimmed round.

Otherwise I have no strong feelings on whether or not a woman has round or square, long or short fingernails - although I don't understand why painting or polishing fingernails is such a big deal. I think the general population puts way too much emphasis cosmetics and perfumes. For me make up (cosmetics) do not make a person more attractive or sexy, but rather just looks silly and unnecessary. I think people should focus on developing the inner person, and not surface appearance.

Astronuc said:
For me make up (cosmetics) do not make a person more attractive or sexy, but rather just looks silly and unnecessary. I think people should focus on developing the inner person, and not surface appearance.
I guess that's why they call it "make up" (made up).

Monique said:
Now I need to wait for the damaged part to grow out, I blame a new (it was an expensive one) nailcutter.
Cutting nails is a great way to introduce small stresses and flaws that lead to cracks and splits. Get a file encrusted with sapphires or diamonds, use the rough side to trim and shape, then use the fine side to smooth and round all the edges. It takes a bit more time, but it's a lot better for your nails.

Attractive is misspelled on the poll, just to let you know.

Is this asking what we prefer for ourselves or in someone of the opposite sex? I suppose my answer works regardless.

I would think that overly long nails or ones with the square tips would be death on rubber gloves - so I am surprised to see that food workers have them. I can imagine a doctor, turning away from scrubbing her hands and trying to don some rubber gloves ... only to have then SNAP with each attempt.

Square nails make women look like they're club-fingered. :yuck:

Also, I seem to see them as a rather desparate bid for attention, much the same way as those really obvious tans-in-a-bottle.

I picked rounded. They are the only ones I can stand. I prefer short cut nails and I find fake nails to be horribly ugly most of the time.

I just cut them down so I can play guitar. They've always ended up rounded.

I like rounded nails. Square looks weird and unnatural to me. Though, nothing is as bad as the POINTED nails my grandmother used to have! :bugeye: That just looked EVIL!

Yes, the square-tipped nails just look creepy. I have no idea what the appeal is to them. My nails grow long all by themselves but I cut them back to a reasonable length (ie: I can still scratch my back properly with them) and keep the edges rounded and only apply clear polish for a quiet shine. The square -- long or short -- with whatever sort of coating are disconcerting and, yes, call attention to themselves because they have a not-found-in-nature appearance.

Since I'm a heterosexual male and you asked what I find attractive, I'm assuming you're asking about my preference on females (somebody asked for clarification).

I prefer the square tips as long as they are kept pretty short. The ones you have pictured are borderline for me. Any longer than that and they appear strange, so I guess it is length dependant.

Option 5: I don't care either way.

edit: Apart from fake nails, which look horrid.

Hurkyl said:

I don't think I've ever seen someone with the square tips without some sort of polish on them. I assume they are fake nails; they always look fake to me.

turbo-1 said:
Cutting nails is a great way to introduce small stresses and flaws that lead to cracks and splits. Get a file encrusted with sapphires or diamonds, use the rough side to trim and shape, then use the fine side to smooth and round all the edges. It takes a bit more time, but it's a lot better for your nails.

Just out of curiosity, do you -like most guitar players- have very short nails on your left hand and longish nails on you right (well, on PIMA )?
I started playing guitar just over a year ago and I seem to spend quite a lot of time trimming the nails on my right hand (I often play fingerstyle, steel string acoustic):rolleyes:

When I first started playing I thought all the threads about nailcare on various guitar forums were quite funny but after breaking my nails a few times I now take a keen interest.
Although I haven't quite reached the point where I am considering artificial nails on my right hand yet...

f95toli said:
Just out of curiosity, do you -like most guitar players- have very short nails on your left hand and longish nails on you right (well, on PIMA )?
I started playing guitar just over a year ago and I seem to spend quite a lot of time trimming the nails on my right hand (I often play fingerstyle, steel string acoustic):rolleyes:

When I first started playing I thought all the threads about nailcare on various guitar forums were quite funny but after breaking my nails a few times I now take a keen interest.
Although I haven't quite reached the point where I am considering artificial nails on my right hand yet...
I play fiddle, and I keep a nail clipper in my case. I only need to trim my left hand.

DaveC426913 said:
I play fiddle, and I keep a nail clipper in my case. I only need to trim my left hand.

Yes, I've played the piano for 20 years or so and I am used to having short nails on both hands, so it has taken me a while to get get used to having longer nails on my right hand (although they are not THAT long, I doubt anyone notices unless they are really looking).
Steel strings and nails is generally a bad combination, which is why many professional guitar players use artificial nails on their right hand.
Also, just about everyone that plays classical guitar uses artificial nails, since they pluck the strings with only the nail(with steel string guitar you usually pluck with both flesh and nail, rarely the nail alone). Some of them even have endorsement deals...

ask my Willy what he prefers...