Vitamin D deficiency - Which value important?

In summary: I remember being told that strawberries have lots in them, but you have to eat loads of them every day to get the required amount.Strawberries contain high levels of Vitamin D, but you only need to eat a few per day to get the recommended amount.
Gerenuk
I'm not getting much sun here so I checked my Vitamin D levels some time ago.
They determined
16 ng/ml for Vit D 25 and
47 ng/l for Vit D 1,25
Apparently the first value signals a deficiency, but not the second. I read one should usually do only the first check (as it's cheaper), but on the other hand the second form is what is the final biologically active form.
So do I need the solarium after all? :)

Biology news on Phys.org
We are just now covering Vit. D. in my nutrition course. We were not given specific values, and I am certainly not an expert, but my proff was saying that recent research has suggested that the current suggested amount of vit. D. is too low and that it is in the process of being re-evaluated. He discussed the trends for people in colder climates and how we (Im Canadian, but he included anywhere that requires covering up and less sunlight) should be supplemented in the winter months. We just started getting into how vit. D. affects bone density. My proff suggested consuming fish oils as a natural supplement that does not have the same risks associated as UV exposure. Unfortunately nothing is quite as effective as the sun, however 15 mins of afternoon sun should do it, and a person should never burn themselves in attempt to get more vit. D. I remember being told that strawberries have lots in them, but you have to eat loads of them every day to get the required amount. I don't know if that's true or not though. Do you live in a sunny area? Do you have a job that requires you to be locked away indoors while the mid day sun is blazing down?

So fish oils instead of taking the real food that contains Vitamin D?
Germany isn't exactly sunny - for sure not in winter. An office job doesn't get me outdoors. I even read that common glass absorbs most of the UV, so sitting behind glass isn't going give much Vitamin D?!

The Sun needs to be higher than about 40° above the horizon for enough UV light to get through. This means that if you live at 50° Northern lattitude, you can only get vitamin D from the Sun in the months May, June, July and August, and that only in the afternoons.

So, if you are in the office from 9 to 5, you won't get any vitamin D from the Sun, not even in the summer.

Gerenuk said:
So fish oils instead of taking the real food that contains Vitamin D?
Germany isn't exactly sunny - for sure not in winter. An office job doesn't get me outdoors. I even read that common glass absorbs most of the UV, so sitting behind glass isn't going give much Vitamin D?!

The proff says that lots of foods boast of containing vitamin D, but its not all digestible and you end up absorbing a lot less than you would think. I have the biochemistry of it in my notes, but Id need his permission to post it, and to be honest I don't fully understand it and I am not required to for the course. I guess its the same sort of thing as when people think they get all sorts of iron from spinach when in reality 99.9% is indigestible and just goes right through you. Animal sources are apparently the best after the sun and only some animals (mainly fish) have the vit D we need and use. Its funny you say Germany because he showed some data from a study done in Germany as an example of a place that has little sunlight. They tested vit D levels and bone density for a year in two samples of people, then they did the same the following year and supplemented one of the groups with vit. D. The supplemented group had much higher bone density. In Canada we are in much the same situation.

1. What is vitamin D deficiency?

Vitamin D deficiency is a condition where the body does not have enough vitamin D, a nutrient that is essential for bone health and overall well-being.

2. What causes vitamin D deficiency?

The most common cause of vitamin D deficiency is lack of exposure to sunlight, as the body produces vitamin D when the skin is exposed to sunlight. Other causes include a diet low in vitamin D, certain medical conditions, and certain medications.

3. What are the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can vary, but commonly include bone pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, and frequent infections. In severe cases, deficiency can lead to conditions like osteoporosis and rickets.

4. How is vitamin D deficiency diagnosed?

A blood test is typically used to diagnose vitamin D deficiency. The test measures the level of vitamin D in the blood, with a value below 20 ng/mL considered deficient.

5. Why is the value of vitamin D level important?

The value of vitamin D level is important because it indicates whether a person is deficient or not. Maintaining adequate levels of vitamin D is crucial for overall health and can help prevent conditions like osteoporosis and certain types of cancer.