Reference for photoluminescence data?

In summary, the conversation was about finding data to compare the results of a lab report on the photoluminescence of two chemicals, indocyanine green and hexamethylindotricarbocyanine tetrafluoroborate. The person asking the question had been searching for a couple of weeks but had not found anything. A suggestion was made to use Google Scholar or Web of Science to find papers on the topic. A paper by Maarek, Holschneider, and Harimoto was mentioned as a potential source of information.
diazona
Homework Helper
I'm writing a lab report about the photoluminescence of two chemicals, (1) indocyanine green and (2) hexamethylindotricarbocyanine tetrafluoroborate. I've done the experiment, and now I need to (well, I've been advised to) find some data in a published paper or reference book to compare my result to. Problem: I've been looking for this for a couple of weeks and haven't found anything. *Does anyone know of some kind of, say, chemical database that would have the information I'm looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
diazona said:
I'm writing a lab report about the photoluminescence of two chemicals, (1) indocyanine green and (2) hexamethylindotricarbocyanine tetrafluoroborate. I've done the experiment, and now I need to (well, I've been advised to) find some data in a published paper or reference book to compare my result to. Problem: I've been looking for this for a couple of weeks and haven't found anything. *Does anyone know of some kind of, say, chemical database that would have the information I'm looking for?

You probably would've been better off posting this in the chemistry or biology subforums. However, I'd suggest doing a Google scholar, or Web of Science search for the chemicals in question. You should be able to find something in the papers you find. I did just a plain jane Google search for photoluminescence indocyanine green, and got a paper by Maarek, Holschneider, and Harimoto (Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, 65(2), 2001):

Indocyanine green (ICG) has been widely used in cardiovascular, hepatic, and ophthalmologic studies. Application of this fluorescent dye has been handicapped by its poor stability in solution and by the complex dependence of its fluorescence intensity on concentration. Noncovalent interactions between ICG and sodium polyaspartate (PASP) stabilize ICG fluorescence in aqueous solution, but the effect of PASP on ICG fluorescence in blood has not been described. The current study had two main goals: first, to characterize in vitro in blood the relationship between fluorescence intensity and concentration of ICG–PASP (ICG) and the stability of this relationship over time; second, to test a new phenomenological model describing the dependence of ICG fluorescence on concentration. Freshly-prepared ICG and ICG–PASP solutions produced the same fluorescence intensity over a wide range of concentrations (0.0005–0.1271 mg/ml). The peak fluorescence of ICG was reduced by 11% after 10 h and by 72% at 7 days. In contrast, the peak fluorescence intensity of ICG–PASP solutions was nearly unchanged for up to 14 days. The dependence of the fluorescence intensity on concentration was accurately represented by our model that accounted for the generation of fluorescence following light absorption, and for the reabsorption of the emitted fluorescence by ICG.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TH0-44MYYCW-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=81f2ae3545dc6483fb969ad855516816

Google Scholar:
http://scholar.google.com/

Web of Science (your institution probably has a subscription to this, or a similar service--check with your library):
http://www.isiknowledge.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the link... I actually ran across that paper before in a Google Scholar search (I've been using Google Scholar for most of my searching), but I skipped over it because I was in high-speed skimming mode ;-) Now that I go back and actually read it, it looks like it might have some useful information.

1. What is photoluminescence data?

Photoluminescence data refers to the measurement of light emitted by a material after it has been excited by a light source. This phenomenon is useful in studying the properties of materials and can provide information about their structure, composition, and electronic properties.

2. What is the purpose of referencing photoluminescence data?

Referencing photoluminescence data is important because it allows other researchers to verify and replicate the results of a study. It also gives credit to the original source of the data and allows for further research and development in the field.

3. How should photoluminescence data be referenced?

Photoluminescence data should be referenced by including the author(s) name, title of the study, name of the journal or conference proceedings, publication date, and the page numbers where the data can be found. Additionally, a DOI (digital object identifier) or URL can also be included if available.

4. What are some common techniques used to obtain photoluminescence data?

Some common techniques used to obtain photoluminescence data include photoluminescence spectroscopy, time-resolved photoluminescence, and photoluminescence microscopy. These techniques involve using a light source to excite the material and then measuring the emitted light using a spectrometer, camera, or other specialized equipment.

5. How can photoluminescence data be used in scientific research?

Photoluminescence data can be used in various scientific research fields, including material science, chemistry, and physics. It can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of materials, as well as insights into their potential applications. This data can also be used to compare different materials and aid in the development of new technologies.