Force of solar radiation on earth

In summary: But remember to take into account the energy and momentum of the photons that have already fallen on the Earth!In summary, the total force from solar radiation on the Earth is 1.3kW/m2. The rate of loss of mass from the sun due to solar radiation is 1.84x10-31N.
indie452

Homework Statement

ok, well...im not sure if this is posted in the right section but I've just come across a past exam question that is supposed to be in classical mech and relativity section of the paper...

If 1.3kW/m2 of solar radiation falls on the Earth at midday at the equator what is the total force from this solar radiation on the Earth? (you may assume that all the radiation is absorbed)
And so what is the rate of loss of mass from the sun due to solar radiation?

Earth radius [r] = 6400km
Sun-Earth distance [R] = 1.5x1011
[Assume circular orbit]
Earth mass [m] = 6x1024kg
Sun mass [M] = 2x1030kg

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so i had no idea how to start at first by using classical mech methods, so i decided to try and use methods from my quantum course:

P = [stephans const]*T4
so T = 4th root[1300 / 5.67x10-8] = 389.1258K

[wavelength]*T = 2.8x10-3
so [wavelength] = 7.1956x10-6m

and so E = hc/[wavelength] = 2.764x10-20J

and Fd = change in E -> energy all gets absorbed so it is converted into other forms of E
so E after is zero

and so F = E/d = 1.84x10-31Nbut i have no idea if this is right, or even if this method is valid...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Also i didnt know how to get started on the 2nd part of the qu

btw...after typing this up in this post i don't think this is right at all cause i think some of my units are a bit messed up...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
force of solar radiation on the earth

1. Homework Statement

ok, well...im not sure if this is posted in the right section but I've just come across a past exam question that is supposed to be in classical mech and relativity section of the paper...

If 1.3kW/m2 of solar radiation falls on the Earth at midday at the equator what is the total force from this solar radiation on the Earth? (you may assume that all the radiation is absorbed)
And so what is the rate of loss of mass from the sun due to solar radiation?

Earth radius [r] = 6400km
Sun-Earth distance [R] = 1.5x1011
[Assume circular orbit]
Earth mass [m] = 6x1024kg
Sun mass [M] = 2x1030kg3. The Attempt at a Solution

okay so i had no idea how to start at first by using classical mech methods, so i decided to try and use methods from my quantum course:

P = [stephans const]*T4
so T = 4th root[1300 / 5.67x10-8] = 389.1258K

[wavelength]*T = 2.8x10-3
so [wavelength] = 7.1956x10-6m

and so E = hc/[wavelength] = 2.764x10-20J

and Fd = change in E -> energy all gets absorbed so it is converted into other forms of E
so E after is zero

and so F = E/d = 1.84x10-31Nbut i have no idea if this is right, or even if this method is valid...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Also i didnt know how to get started on the 2nd part of the qu

Do you understand the context of the equations you're using? For instance, when you computed T from P: T represents the temperature of what? Then when you computed the wavelength, it represents the wavelength of what? And then E is the energy of what?

Also, think about this: how did you get the value of P in the first place? Because you're only given power per unit area, in watts per meter squared, not power. You must keep track of units in calculations like this.

yeah i see what you mean there were a few of us all sat there trying to do this qu and none of us could manage it...i think we just started grasping at straws which is never good i know...its just that our classical mech and relativity lecturer wrote this qu on a past paper but we haven't done anything like it yet, so i am unsure whether it will come up this year but i wanted to be able to understand it just incase cause you never know when it can be helpful.

do you have any suggestions on how to start it properly?

Well, here's my first thought: basically you have a whole bunch of photons colliding with the Earth every second. Figure out what the energy and momentum of that bunch of photons are, then just use the same procedure you normally do for totally inelastic collisions.

1. What is the force of solar radiation on earth?

The force of solar radiation on earth is the amount of energy that is transferred from the sun to the earth's surface. It is measured in watts per square meter and varies depending on factors such as the angle of the sun's rays and the earth's atmosphere.

2. How does solar radiation affect the earth's climate?

Solar radiation plays a major role in regulating the earth's climate. It warms the surface of the earth and its atmosphere, creating temperature differences that drive various weather patterns and global air currents.

3. Is the force of solar radiation on earth constant?

No, the force of solar radiation on earth is not constant. It varies depending on the time of day, season, and location on earth. It is also affected by factors such as cloud cover, atmospheric conditions, and the earth's tilt and orbit.

4. How does solar radiation contribute to life on earth?

Solar radiation is essential for sustaining life on earth. It provides energy for photosynthesis in plants, which is the basis of the food chain. It also helps regulate the earth's temperature, which is crucial for maintaining a habitable environment for living organisms.

5. Can the force of solar radiation on earth be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, solar radiation can be harnessed as a source of renewable energy. Solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity, which can then be used to power homes, businesses, and other applications. This helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigates the negative impacts of climate change.