Funnel vs Cylinder: Find Out Which Is More Efficient for Pouring Water

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, a funnel is more efficient because it doesn't fall into the recipient and is precise when pouring water.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

Pretend you have a container into which you're pouring water. We often use funnels, but why? Like if you have a funnel with the same exit radius as a cylinder, why is using a funnel more efficient?

The area still says the same, so I don't know. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe because a funnel won't fall into the recipient you are filling while a cylinder would!

I could glue the cylinder onto the recipient :D

Could it be because pressure changes differently between the two shapes? Cylinder loses the volume of water and height of water linearly. But a even if a cone loses same amount of water by volume, it would be different by height?

Melawrghk said:
I could glue the cylinder onto the recipient :D

Could it be because pressure changes differently between the two shapes? Cylinder loses the volume of water and height of water linearly. But a even if a cone loses same amount of water by volume, it would be different by height?

This is right. But why would pressure be a problem? If it is a problem then it explains it all, but if you use it for cooking or things like that I think it's because the funnel simply don't fall into the recipient and also because you don't have to be very precise (accurate) when you pour the water into the funnel since it's almost sure all the water will get on the funnel and not on the floor. While when pouring water in a thin cylinder requires more accuracy from your part and you can't also pour water with it as fast as with a same volume funnel.

Well it's for my project, and I'm supposed to justify use of cone as opposed to having just an open (cylindrical) end. I think I'll be able to develop an argument from this. Thanks tons!

Ok good luck then! I'm hoping for someone to point out any other information we might be missing.

1. What is the main difference between a funnel and a cylinder?

The main difference between a funnel and a cylinder is their shape. A funnel has a wide opening at the top and a narrow spout at the bottom, while a cylinder has a constant diameter from top to bottom.

2. Which one is more efficient for pouring water?

In general, a funnel is more efficient for pouring water. This is because the wide opening of the funnel allows for a larger surface area for the water to flow through, resulting in a faster and smoother pour compared to a cylinder.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of pouring water using a funnel or a cylinder?

The efficiency of pouring water using a funnel or a cylinder can be affected by several factors, such as the size and shape of the funnel or cylinder, the viscosity of the liquid being poured, and the angle at which the funnel or cylinder is held.

4. Can a funnel or a cylinder be more efficient in different scenarios?

Yes, depending on the specific scenario, either a funnel or a cylinder can be more efficient for pouring water. For example, if the liquid being poured is very thick or viscous, a cylinder with a smaller diameter may be more efficient than a funnel.

5. Is there a specific type of funnel or cylinder that is more efficient for pouring water?

There is no specific type of funnel or cylinder that is universally more efficient for pouring water. The efficiency will depend on the specific design and characteristics of the funnel or cylinder, as well as the properties of the liquid being poured.