Scheduling Dilemma: Balancing Physics & Writing in College

• Thread starter Spandia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scheduling
In summary, Choppy advises that a physics degree is feasible to complete in three years, and that a writing hobby is easier to pursue than physics.
Spandia
So I scheduled classes for my first year of college which begins this fall last week but found myself with a little problem. Each freshman has to take a "frontiers" course, a seminar type course designed for freshman. The one I had selected was about screenwriting, the problem being it's meeting time conflicted with that of General Physics I. I have always loved writing on the arts. In my senior year of high school I won a talent show writing and preforming in a skit, and was named the schools poet of the year. English and theater, and other such liberal arts subjects are important to me.

In my senior year of high school I came to love physics. I took physics as a junior and enjoyed it, but didn't think much about it. In my senior year I took engineering, and my amazing teacher there awakened in me a love for physics. I find the field fascinating, and as the end of the school year was approaching I began considering studying physics in school. My initial idea was to double major in Physics and English/Writing.

The problem is that I am conflicted about dropping the screenwriting class so that I can take physics this fall. If I do not do this, I will have to wait until next year to start taking physics classes. Could it be possible to complete a degree in physics in those three years? Would that be possible? I'm afraid of going into physics and finding I do not like it, but I'm also afraid of skipping out on the opportunity to be a part of something that fascinates me.

All things considered, physics would quite possibly allow for me to make for money while in school with opportunities like tutoring and summer research. And I do need the money...I'll be spending my summer looking for more and more work to pay the bills

I know this is a bit of a personal question, but any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an amature writer myself, my advice would be to go for the physics class. Writing is the kind of activity that you can do on the side, as a hobby. It's been my experience that you can learn as much (or more) about the craft by joining a good writing group as you can from taking a class. That's not to say there isn't value in a formal writing education. I think there is.

If your intention is to complete a physics degree, or at least keep this avenue open, I don't think you would be doing yourself any favours by waiting until your second year to take the first course. Just about all of the second year courses will require it as a prerequisite, so skipping it in year one will have a domino effect.

And you could likely take the screenwriting course next year.

Ahhhh, thank you, I hadn't even thought of writing groups.

And I guess I really should start physics. I love the feeling of writing, and I love English, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be pigeonholed into that field just yet. Partly because I feel like there are more reliable sources of income in physics (though I am in no way looking to get rich) And I suppose if I start physics now and don't want to dedicate myself to it, I can still drop it and focus on the writing, but if I lose out on physics now, I cannot go back to it so easily.

Well, I wouldn't call either physics or writing a "reliable" source of income :wink: Anyway, I'd agree with Choppy's advice that writing is probably easier to pursue as a hobby than physics is. And the feasibility of doing a physics degree in 3 years depends on which college you're at, but if mine was any indication, it'd be unnecessarily difficult.

Thank you, everyone

1. How can I balance my academic workload between physics and writing in college?

One way to balance your workload is to create a schedule that allocates specific times for each subject. This will help you stay on track and prevent you from spending too much time on one subject at the expense of the other. It may also be helpful to prioritize your assignments and tasks based on their due dates and importance.

2. Is it better to focus on one subject at a time or switch between physics and writing throughout the day?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some students find it more productive to focus on one subject at a time, while others prefer to switch between subjects to keep their mind fresh. Experiment with both methods and see which one works best for you.

3. How can I manage my time effectively to make time for both physics and writing?

Time management is key when it comes to balancing multiple subjects in college. Make use of a planner or scheduling app to help you stay organized and prioritize your tasks. It may also be helpful to break down larger assignments into smaller, manageable chunks and schedule specific times to work on them.

4. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed with my physics and writing workload?

If you feel overwhelmed, it's important to take a step back and assess your workload. Are there any tasks that can be delegated or postponed? Can you reach out to your professors for extensions or support? It may also be helpful to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

5. How can I maintain a good balance between my academic responsibilities and my personal life?

Balancing academics and personal life can be challenging, but it's important to make time for both. Set aside specific times for studying and completing assignments, and also make sure to schedule time for hobbies, socializing, and self-care. Don't be afraid to say no to extra commitments or activities if they will interfere with your academic responsibilities.