Signal Addition: Beginner FAQs | Learn About Signal Sum

In summary, the conversation discusses signal addition and how in the case of adding u(t) and u(-t), the sum value at t=0 would be 2. The speaker also mentions that a signal should be symmetric about the y axis when adding u(t) and u(-t). Additionally, they clarify that a signal is essentially just a function.
sfunds
I am just a beginner in Signals and systems...
In signal addition when we add two signals for example u(t) and u(-t), we are supposed to just add the values of both the signals at each and every point to get the sum,right?
so in the case of u(t)+u(-t), what will be the sum value at t=0? Is it 2 ? Will that be correct?...
This question may be foolish but please help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The values of your signal at different points of t depends upon the signal. The only thing I can tell you from the information that you've given me, is that your signal should be symmetric about the y axis, because that happens when you add u(t) and u(-t). So, u(2)=u(-2), u(3)=u(-3), etc.

But yes, it is essentially just adding two functions.

I agree with kovachattack. A signal is just an EE word for a function, so adding signals = adding functions.

1. What is signal addition?

Signal addition, also known as signal sum, is the process of combining multiple signals to create a new signal. This is commonly done in electronic circuits, audio engineering, and telecommunications.

2. What is the purpose of signal addition?

The purpose of signal addition is to combine different signals to create a new signal with a specific desired outcome. This can include amplifying a signal, filtering out unwanted noise, or creating a new signal with specific characteristics.

3. How is signal addition performed?

Signal addition is typically performed by summing the individual signals together using a mathematical operation. This can be done manually using a calculator or computer, or through the use of electronic circuits and software.

4. What are some common applications of signal addition?

Signal addition is used in a variety of fields and applications including audio engineering, telecommunications, radar and sonar systems, and data processing. It is also commonly used in scientific research and experimentation.

5. Are there any limitations to signal addition?

While signal addition can be a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. For example, when signals with different frequencies are added together, they can interfere with each other and create unwanted distortions. Additionally, the quality and accuracy of the individual signals being added can affect the overall outcome of the added signal.