Boggling result of venturi experiment

In summary, the individual is seeking help with their experiment involving a homemade venturi meter to measure water velocity in a pipe. They found that their calculated velocity using projectile motion equations was much lower than the one obtained using the venturi meter. They are now wondering if they can use the Darcy-Weisbach equation to account for head loss in the conical portions of the meter. The expert suggests repeating the test by collecting the flow in a container to measure volume, as it would be more reliable.
charitym
Hi! I'm boggled by the results of my experiment...maybe you can help me... I made an improvised venturi meter which I used to determine for the velocity of water flowing in a pipe. Then just to confirm my velocity value I allowed the water to just gush out of the venturi meter (disconnected on the outflowing part) then I measured the height and maximum distance of its trajectory (by the way the pipe & venturi meter set-up were horizontal) and solve for the water velocity using equations of projectile motion. The velocity computation I got using the second method was much less than the one I got using the venturi meter. I wanted to account for the head loss when I stumbled into the Darcy-Weisbach equation... can I use it to solve for the head loss in the conical portions of the venturi meter? If yes, can you help me how? If no...any idea what alternative method I can use? Thanks in advance!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing I would do is to repeat your test but instead of calculating the distance/trajectory stuff, simply allow the flow to be collected in a bucket or graduate cylinder to measure the volume. That is going to be much easier and more reliable than the previous method you chose. By your descriptions, I am doubtful about your method using projectile motion equations.

Hi there! It sounds like you have conducted a very interesting experiment. I can understand your confusion with the results, as they seem to contradict each other. However, there are a few things to consider when analyzing the data.

Firstly, it is important to remember that the venturi meter measures the average velocity of the water flow, while the projectile motion method measures the maximum velocity at one specific point in the flow. It is possible that there is a difference in these values due to variations in the flow throughout the pipe.

Additionally, the Darcy-Weisbach equation is typically used for calculating head loss in a straight pipe, not in a venturi meter with conical portions. It is possible to use it, but it may not give an accurate result due to the unique shape of the venturi meter.

One alternative method you could try is using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the velocity of a fluid to the pressure and height of the fluid. By measuring the pressure at different points in the venturi meter, you may be able to calculate the head loss.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your experiment.

1. What is the venturi effect?

The venturi effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where the velocity of a fluid increases as it passes through a constricted section of a pipe or tube. This results in a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's principle.

2. What is the purpose of a venturi experiment?

A venturi experiment is used to demonstrate the venturi effect and to measure the flow rate of a fluid. It is often used in industries such as aviation and plumbing to optimize flow and pressure in pipes.

3. How is the flow rate measured in a venturi experiment?

The flow rate in a venturi experiment is measured by using a device called a manometer. This device measures the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet of the venturi tube, which is then used to calculate the flow rate using the Bernoulli equation.

4. What factors can affect the results of a venturi experiment?

The results of a venturi experiment can be affected by several factors such as the diameter and length of the venturi tube, the type of fluid used, and the smoothness of the tube's walls. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and air pressure can also impact the results.

5. What are some real-world applications of the venturi effect?

The venturi effect has many practical applications, including in carburetors of cars and airplanes, in water treatment plants, and in respiratory devices such as inhalers. It is also used in various industries for fluid mixing and separation processes.