Resonant Frequency of a spring

In summary, the person is having a problem with trying to find the resonant frequency of an assembly and is asking for help from other users. They state that the resonant frequency is determined by the mass and stiffness of the object, and that if the face is lifted off of the seat then the assembly will resonate due to the accumulated mass and stiffness.
kieren12345
Hi all,

I have a problem at work, I have been asked to work out the resonant frequency of an assembly within our mechanical face seal.

We have a mass (the face) attached to springs that are preloaded. The springs are fixed at the other end and the face is also pressed up against the seat.

The seal works by maintaning a force between the seat and face so liquid cannot escape, but allows the two face to rotate against each other. The springs provide a constant load under dynamic conditions.

The problem I am having is that I have no experience within resonant frequencies and the formula I keep finding does not account for preload or the boundary conditions.

f=1/(2*PI)*SQRT(k/M)

Please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, I really don't understand your configuration, but I can tell you that a system reaches resonance when it oscillates at its natural frequency, or fundamental frequency.

for mechanical systems natural frequency = wn = sqrt(k/m) or as you said f = 1/2pi*sqrt(k/m) for units of hertz.

M stands for the mass of the object being held by the spring. K stands for the spring stiffness in N/m or force/ distance.

Possibly your mass is that of the plate, and you have to find an equivalent spring constant value for your system. Springs can either be modeled in series or parallel.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=198567

If memory serves me right, I think springs are in parallel if they deflect the same and they are in series if they see the same force load.. I may be wrong about this.

Hello, Mike here.

Given the case that your preload force is sufficient to mate the face and seat, there won't be any motion between them, and the resulting resonance will be determined by the accumulated mass (face and seat) and accumulated stiffness (face loading springs and the seat to it's mounts).

I suspect your seat is a stiff and mounted firmly, so this resonance would be quite high. You'd likely need to use an FEA solver to get at that one. That, or measure it with an accelerometer & something to hit it with.

When performing resonance tests, there are analyzers available with a "calibrated" hammer (it has an accelerometer in it) and accelerometer inputs. The guys that design cars go to town with this equipment, since everything in a car is subject to resonance.

Something different happens if you experience a shock sufficient to lift the face off of the seat. In that case, force = mass x acceleration becomes sufficient to counter the preload force. Then, the natural reaction of the face is to lift off, and assuming the acceleration must die down, the face will eventually crash back into the seat. For an acceleration impulse, the face will lift away and fall back following a half sine wave curve. The frequency of that sine wave will be determined by the mass of the face and stiffness of the springs. If the face crashes to the seat without rebounding, the assembly will then resonate based on the accumulated mass and stiffness of the two parts.

Good luck with your problem

- Mike

Thanks for your help, I will take it to the FEA guys and this if they can work it out

What is the resonant frequency of a spring?

The resonant frequency of a spring is the natural frequency at which the spring will vibrate when disturbed. It is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass attached to it.

How is the resonant frequency of a spring calculated?

The resonant frequency of a spring can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

Why is the resonant frequency of a spring important?

The resonant frequency of a spring is important because it can affect the stability and performance of systems that use springs, such as mechanical watches or car suspensions. It can also help in determining the natural frequency of structures, which is crucial for earthquake-resistant building design.

How does the length of a spring affect its resonant frequency?

The length of a spring does not directly affect its resonant frequency, but it can indirectly impact it by changing the spring's stiffness. A shorter spring will generally have a higher resonant frequency, while a longer spring will have a lower resonant frequency.

Can the resonant frequency of a spring be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a spring can be changed by altering its stiffness or mass. For example, adding more weight to the spring will decrease its resonant frequency, while increasing its stiffness will increase the resonant frequency. External factors such as temperature can also affect the resonant frequency of a spring.