Write The Given Expression in Algebraic Form

In summary, the given expression, sin(arctan x 5/x), can be simplified by using trigonometric identities and the Pythagorean Theorem to rewrite the expression in terms of simpler trigonometric functions. The argument of the arctangent function is not specified, which makes it difficult to find an exact algebraic form. However, the general procedure for solving this type of problem remains the same.
Centurion1

Homework Statement

Write the Given Expression in algebraic Form
sin(arctan x 5/x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you just simplify the arcy=tan to fit with sin? So does it just become a simple simplification problem? Oh and does algebraic form mean without the sin and arctan?

Physics news on Phys.org
Centurion1 said:

Homework Statement

Write the Given Expression in algebraic Form
sin(arctan x 5/x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you just simplify the arcy=tan to fit with sin? So does it just become a simple simplification problem? Oh and does algebraic form mean without the sin and arctan?

The argument of the arctangent function is not clear. Is there an operator missing or is it really (x times 5/x)?

Regardless, these sorts of questions can be handled with roughly the same approach. Consider [itex]y=\cos(\arcsin u)[/itex]. If we let t = arcsin u, then we have y = cos t and sint t = u. Since u = opp/hyp we can draw a right triangle with acute interior angle labeled t where opp/hyp = u/1 and put u on the opposing side from t and 1 adjacent to it.

Calculating the hypotenuse we get [itex]\sqrt{(1+u^2)}[/itex] by using the Pythagorean Theorem. Using this triangle it is not hard to find y = cos t.

Your exercise is handled similarly.

--Elucidus

the x means multiplication

Your original question concerned the function sin(arctan x 5/x). Arctan is a function name and cannot be "multiplied" or do you mean arctan of 5/x?

--Elucidus

yes sorry that is what i meant. I realize you cannot multiply that

1. What does it mean to "write the given expression in algebraic form"?

Writing an expression in algebraic form means representing it using variables, mathematical operations, and symbols such as parentheses and exponents. This allows us to solve for unknown values and manipulate the expression to find different solutions.

2. How do I identify the given expression in a problem?

The given expression is typically the part of the problem that asks you to solve for a specific value or asks you to simplify an equation. It is important to read the problem carefully to identify what is being asked for and what information is given.

3. What are the steps to writing an expression in algebraic form?

The steps to writing an expression in algebraic form are as follows:

1. Identify the variables and constants in the problem.

2. Write the symbols for the mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) between the variables and constants.

3. Use parentheses to indicate the order of operations.

4. Simplify the expression by combining like terms and following the order of operations.

4. Can I use letters other than x and y in an algebraic expression?

Yes, you can use any letter to represent a variable in an algebraic expression. It is important to clearly define what each letter represents in the expression.

5. How can I check if my algebraic expression is correct?

You can check if your algebraic expression is correct by substituting in values for the variables and simplifying the expression. If you get the same result as the given expression or the desired solution, then your expression is likely correct.