Boat hippie crackpot hydrogen rant?

• Thread starter BuddyPal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a lost thread where a person named "sailboatmd" was ranting about unfounded ideas related to hydrogen power and shipping oil, which was found to be humorous. The thread was eventually found and the person requesting it asked for it not to be deleted.
BuddyPal
I'm beating myself up about it a little bit, but I can't find the thread where that one hippie was ranting about how hydrogen power could destroy the world, and about how shipping oil from Saudi Arabia to the U.S. was throwing off the Earth's rotation, along with a whole bunch of other unfounded garbage. It was really funny, and I've lost the url. His name was "boat -something-" or sailboat something, anyways if anyone remembers where the thread is, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember that, but it sounds like something we would have deleted.

That sounds fuuuuuunnny. I wish I could read it. Just to put it out there, I get called a hippie all the time and you wouldn't catch me dead tolerating garbage like that.

BuddyPal said:
I'm beating myself up about it a little bit, but I can't find the thread where that one hippie was ranting about how hydrogen power could destroy the world, and about how shipping oil from Saudi Arabia to the U.S. was throwing off the Earth's rotation, along with a whole bunch of other unfounded garbage. It was really funny, and I've lost the url. His name was "boat -something-" or sailboat something, anyways if anyone remembers where the thread is, please let me know.

We never allow crackpottery like that to linger in this forum.

Zz.

1. What is "boat hippie crackpot hydrogen rant"?

"Boat hippie crackpot hydrogen rant" is a term used to describe a fringe theory that states using hydrogen as a fuel source for boats is a more environmentally friendly option.

2. Is there any scientific basis for this theory?

Currently, there is limited scientific evidence to support the use of hydrogen as a fuel source for boats. While hydrogen is a clean-burning fuel, the technology and infrastructure for its widespread use in marine transportation are still in the early stages of development.

3. Are there any potential benefits to using hydrogen as a fuel for boats?

Some potential benefits of using hydrogen as a fuel source for boats include reduced emissions and a decrease in dependence on fossil fuels. However, these benefits are not yet fully realized and would require significant advancements in technology and infrastructure.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of using hydrogen as a fuel for boats?

One of the major challenges of using hydrogen as a fuel for boats is its production and storage. Hydrogen is typically produced from natural gas, which is a non-renewable resource. Additionally, the infrastructure for producing, storing, and transporting hydrogen is not yet widely available.

5. Is there ongoing research and development in this area?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in the use of hydrogen as a fuel source for boats. Scientists and engineers are working to overcome the challenges and limitations and make hydrogen a viable option for marine transportation. However, more research and advancements are needed before it can be widely adopted.