Is my Handout wrong? Stumped Conditional Probability

In summary: Right. I was asked for P(m^w), I think I got it confused reading your question.so for P(m^w), I would do the P(m|w) x P(w|m) = (0.875)(0.7)=0.6125 for this...Yes, that is correct. And for the other terms, you would just multiply them.
RedPhoenix
Conditional Probability...

My handout says this...

P(m) = .4
P(w) = .5
P(m|w) = .7

Find:
P(MnW) = ?
P(w|m) = ?
P(m or w) = ?

P(MnW) = .4 x .5 = .2

P(w|m) = .35/.4 = .875

P(m or w) = ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

RedPhoenix said:
Conditional Probability...

My handout says this...

P(m) = .4
P(w) = .5
P(m|w) = .7

Find:
P(MnW) = ?
P(w|m) = ?
P(m or w) = ?

Now with what I am given... I am just trying to decipher what it says... if P(m) = .4 and P(w) = .5 then shouldn't P(m|w) = .8?

instead of .7?

P(m|w) is given. You can get P(w|m) from Bayes Theorem:

P(m|w)=P(w|m)P(m)/P(w) so P(m|w)P(w)/P(m) = P(w|m) =(0.7)(0.5)/(0.4)= 0.875

SW VandeCarr said:
P(m|w) is given. You can get P(w|m) from Bayes Theorem:

P(m|w)=P(w|m)P(m)/P(w) so P(m|w)P(w)/P(m) = P(w|m) =(0.7)(0.5)/(0.4)= 0.875

I edited my post right before you posted :).

Now I am trying to figure out P(m or w)

Is it just .4 + .5?

Last edited:

RedPhoenix said:
I edited my post right before you posted :).

Now I am trying to figure out P(m or w)

Do you know how to add probabilities? Are these probabilities independent of each other?

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
Do you know how to add probabilities?

I do now, I just figured out I was missing 2 pages in my book... I looked on my online copy of it and found it...

P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) = .4 + .5 - .35 = .55 correct?

RedPhoenix said:
I do now, I just figured out I was missing 2 pages in my book... I looked on my online copy of it and found it...

P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) = .4 + .5 - .35 = .55 correct?

No..

SW VandeCarr said:
No..

Lets try this again...

since I have (b) correct I will ignore it

(a) p(MnW) = .4 x .5 = .2
(c) p(MuB) = .4 + .5 - .2 = .7

is this correct?

sorry for not getting this, stats is not my strong point.

RedPhoenix said:
Lets try this again...

since I have (b) correct I will ignore it

(a) p(MnW) = .4 x .5 = .2
(c) p(MuB) = .4 + .5 - .2 = .7

is this correct?

sorry for not getting this, stats is not my strong point.

How about arithmetic? Yes this is correct given m in the absence of prior w and w in the absence of prior m but is this realistic? What about your conditional probabilities?

SW VandeCarr said:
How about arithmetic? Yes this is correct given m in the absence of prior w and w in the absence of prior m but is this realistic? What about your conditional probabilities?

I guess I am entirely confused. The book is making it worse and reading info online is confusing me.

I am getting 2 bits of information regarding (a), which affects (c).

for
1)
P(MnW) = p(M) x p(W) = 0.2
but I also see
2)
P(MnW) = p(M) x p(W|M) = 0.35
P(WnM) = p(w) x p(M|W) = 0.35

So for this case which is it? I don't understand when it use each one...

RedPhoenix said:
I guess I am entirely confused. The book is making it worse and reading info online is confusing me.

I am getting 2 bits of information regarding (a), which affects (c).

for
1)
P(MnW) = p(M) x p(W) = 0.2
but I also see
2)
P(MnW) = p(M) x p(W|M) = 0.35
P(WnM) = p(w) x p(M|W) = 0.35

So for this case which is it? I don't understand when it use each one...

OK For P(m or w); since they are conditional on each other we have P(m|w) + P(w|m) - P(m|w)P(w|m) = (0.7)+(0.875)-(.6125)=0.9625

Now do P(m ^ w).

SW VandeCarr said:
OK For P(m or w); since they are conditional on each other we have P(m|w) + P(w|m) - P(m|w)P(w|m) = (0.7)+(0.875)-(.6125)=0.9625

Now do P(m ^ w).

Thank you

This is what I am understanding from the book.
If they are dependent on each other, use this formula
p(m^w) = p(m) x p(w | m)

So...
0.875 x 0.4 = 0.35
or
0.5 x 0.7 = 0.35

Correct?

-------------------

If they were independent of each other, I would multiply them... ie; 0.4 x 0.5 = 0.2, correct?

RedPhoenix said:
Thank you

This is what I am understanding from the book.
If they are dependent on each other, use this formula
p(m^w) = p(m) x p(w | m)

So...
0.875 x 0.4 = 0.35
or
0.5 x 0.7 = 0.35

Correct?

-------------------

If they were independent of each other, I would multiply them... ie; 0.4 x 0.5 = 0.2, correct?

Yes, but because they are conditional on each other, they are shouldn't be treated as independent unless you have some special situation.

Regarding P(m^w), your equations are P((w|m)^(m)), etc. For P(m^w), I would use P(m|w) x P(w|m) = (0.875)(0.7)=0.6125.

How would you combine terms of the form P(x)P(x|y), P(x)P(y|x), P(y)P(x|y), P(y)P(y|x)?

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
Regarding P(m^w), your equations are P((w|m)^(m)), etc. For P(m^w), I would use P(m|w) x P(w|m) = (0.875)(0.7)=0.6125.

How would you combine terms of the form P(x)P(x|y), P(x)P(y|x), P(y)P(x|y), P(y)P(y|x)?
Interesting... I actually do not see this anywhere in my book, so can you explain why I would be using P(m|w) x P(w|m) instead of P((w|m)^(m)) ?

How would I combine those terms? I don't follow, wouldn't I just multiply them?I REALLY appreciate all your help, you have no idea.

RedPhoenix said:
Interesting... I actually do not see this anywhere in my book, so can you explain why I would be using P(m|w) x P(w|m) instead of P((w|m)^(m)) ?

Because P(w|m)^m) is a different question than P(m^w). You were asked for P(m^w), right?

Last edited:
Right. I was asked for P(m^w), I think I got it confused reading your question.

so for P(m^w), I would do the P(m|w) x P(w|m) = (0.875)(0.7)=0.6125 for this question.

RedPhoenix said:
Right. I was asked for P(m^w), I think I got it confused reading your question.

so for P(m^w), I would do the P(m|w) x P(w|m) = (0.875)(0.7)=0.6125 for this question.

Is this a homework question? I would do it this way because we established the non-independence of P(m) and P(w). However, if this is homework, you might treat them as independent since the expression P(m^w) doesn't tell you about the conditional probabilities by itself. Also you have as givens P(m)=0.4 and P(w)=0.5. So perhaps you should play it safe and answer P(m^w)=0.2 and P(m or w)=0.7. It's obviously wrong given the context, but correct from a "frequentist" point of view where prior probabilities are ignored. You can always defend the context free answer.

Last edited:
The question from the text is:

Probability of Mark and Wilma both go riding a bike together.

RedPhoenix said:
The question from the text is:

Probability of Mark and Wilma both go riding a bike together.

Still not clear. P(m),Mark rides with or without Wilma, P(w), Wilma rides w/wt Mark; P(m|w) Mark will ride with Wilma when Wilma's riding?

SW VandeCarr said:
Still not clear. P(m),mark rides with or without wilma, P(w), Wilma rides w/wt mark; P(m|w) mark will ride with wilma when is wilma's riding?

Sorry I posted that from my phone, it was not the whole problem.

The probability of Mark riding his bike is 0.4
Probability of Wilma riding her bike is 0.5
The probability of mark riding his bike given that Wilma does is 0.7

Find:
P(M^W) both riding their bikes
P(W|M)
P(M or W) riding their bike

I hope this makes it more clear. Thank you :)

RedPhoenix said:
Sorry I posted that from my phone, it was not the whole problem.

The probability of Mark riding his bike is 0.4
Probability of Wilma riding her bike is 0.5
The probability of mark riding his bike given that Wilma does is 0.7

Find:
P(M^W) both riding their bikes
P(W|M)
P(M or W) riding their bike

I hope this makes it more clear. Thank you :)

Then P(m^w)=0.2 and P(m or w)=0.7. During the 20% of the time they are both riding, they are riding together 61.25% of the time.

EDIT: Now that I understand the question, the above is incorrect. See my response #22 below.

Last edited:
:) Thank you for going over this problem with me. It makes a lot more sense... I think I will have another one or two tomorrow... Test at the end of this week.

RedPhoenix said:
:) Thank you for going over this problem with me. It makes a lot more sense... I think I will have another one or two tomorrow... Test at the end of this week.

Actually, if the question is the probability they are riding together, it is P=0.35, However, this is not P(m^w). It's P(w|m)P(m)=(P(m|w)P(w)=0.35. I'm sorry if I mislead you. You were correct in this but strictly speaking, P(m^w) is not, by itself, the probability they are riding together.

EDIT: Despite this, apparently P=0.35 is the answer your book wants for (m^w).

Last edited:
RedPhoenix said:

Again, knowing the problem; the additive probabilities P(m or w) would seem to be independent since the probability of w riding or m riding is independent of whether they are riding together or riding apart. Therefore P(m or w)=0.7. There are no additive synergies here.

EDIT: If we take the conditional probabilities into account and ask what is the probability of m or w riding alone at a point in time, then we have:

P(m)+P(w)-(P(m|w)P(w) or P(w|m)P(m))=(0.4)+(0.5)-(0.35)=0.55 which indeed is what you got earlier. Sorry if I confused you.

Last edited:

1. Is there a way to check if my handout on conditional probability is correct?

Yes, there are a few ways to check your handout for accuracy. First, you can double check the formulas and calculations you have used to make sure they are correct. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your handout and provide feedback. Additionally, you can use online resources or textbooks to compare your handout to established information on conditional probability.

2. How do I know if I am understanding conditional probability correctly?

One way to ensure your understanding of conditional probability is correct is to practice solving problems and checking your answers. You can also explain the concept to someone else to see if you can effectively convey the information. Additionally, seeking feedback from a teacher or tutor can help confirm your understanding.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when working with conditional probability?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with conditional probability include misunderstanding the given information, mixing up the order of events, and forgetting to account for all possible outcomes. It is also important to be careful when using conditional probability formulas and make sure to properly calculate probabilities and use correct notation.

4. How can I improve my understanding and application of conditional probability?

One way to improve your understanding and application of conditional probability is to practice solving different types of problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, discussing the concept with others and seeking feedback can help solidify your understanding.

5. What real-life applications does conditional probability have?

Conditional probability has many real-life applications, including predicting weather patterns, analyzing medical test results, and evaluating the success of marketing strategies. It is also commonly used in fields such as finance, genetics, and engineering. Understanding conditional probability can help in making informed decisions and solving complex problems in various industries.