Angular momentum and expectation value

In summary, angular momentum does not have orientation in space and cos(theta) does not equal Lz divided by the magnitude of the angular momentum vector. As for the integration process for finding an expectation value for a non-eigenfunction, one can use a linear combination of energy eigenstates and calculate the weighted average of the energy eigenvalues to find the expectation value.
jaejoon89
My teacher said that angular momentum doesn't have orientation in space - but how can that be? Isn't cos(theta) = L_z / |L vector| ?

Also (an unrelated question) could somebody give an example of how the integration process goes when you are trying to get an expectation value for something which isn't an eigenfunction? i.e. I know if it's an eigenfunction, everything normalizes so you just get the observable as the expectation value. But what if it isn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
My teacher said that angular momentum doesn't have orientation in space - but how can that be? Isn't cos(theta) = L_z / |L vector| ?
Although you can define Lz as the projection of the angular momentum along an external magnetic field, that's just the z-component. The angular momentum vector precesses about the magnetic field, so there is no fixed direction. Maybe that's what your teacher meant.
jaejoon89 said:
Also (an unrelated question) could somebody give an example of how the integration process goes when you are trying to get an expectation value for something which isn't an eigenfunction? i.e. I know if it's an eigenfunction, everything normalizes so you just get the observable as the expectation value. But what if it isn't?

Consider two energy eigenstates, |ψ1> and |ψ2>. Then

H|ψ1>=E11> and H|ψ2>=E22>. Now make a new wavefunction that is a normalized linear combination of these, to be specific

[tex]|\varphi>=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|\psi_{1}>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|\psi_{2}>[/tex]

Then

[tex]H|\varphi>=\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}E_{1}|\psi_{1}>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}E_{2}|\psi_{2}>[/tex]

Clearly |φ> is not an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian H. The expectation value of the energy however, is

[tex]<E>= <\varphi|H|\varphi>=\frac{1}{3}E_{1}+\frac{2}{3}E_{2}[/tex]

In other words the expectation value is neither of the eigenvalues, but a weighted average where the weights are the probability coefficients of the eigenstates.

1. What is angular momentum and how is it defined?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. Mathematically, it is defined as the cross product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of an object, while linear momentum refers to the linear motion of an object. Angular momentum takes into account an object's moment of inertia, while linear momentum does not.

3. How is angular momentum related to angular velocity?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to angular velocity. This means that if an object's angular velocity increases, its angular momentum will also increase.

4. What is the expectation value of angular momentum?

The expectation value of angular momentum is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the average value of an observable quantity (such as angular momentum) in a given system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the angular momentum operator over all possible states of the system.

5. How does angular momentum affect the stability of an object?

The greater the angular momentum of an object, the more stable it will be. This is because objects with higher angular momentum are less likely to deviate from their rotational motion, making them more resistant to external forces.