Can 130 Pounds Make Car Dents?

• Thread starter lslars31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is about whether a person weighing 130 pounds could potentially cause 5 dents on the top of a car by sitting on it. The person mentioned that the car caved in a little when they sat on it, but they immediately got off. It is clarified that the discussion is not about force but about pressure. The other person in the conversation also questions the responsibility of paying for the damage caused by the dents.
lslars31
Ok I need some help... I am trying to figure out if 130 pounds could make a dent in a car (I supposedly made 5 dents in the top of someones car and I want to make sure it is even possible). I got up on the car sat on the top and it caved in a little, after which I immediately got off. Is that enough to make 5 dents? I always thought even though it caved in it it popped right back so there would be no damage.

This is kind of vauge I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't about force (weight), but about pressure.

But didn't you already answer the question in your question, since you admitted to denting the car.

By the way, if you dented someone's car you need to pay for the damage and not try to rationalize your way out of it.

1. How much force does it take for 130 pounds to make a car dent?

The amount of force required to make a car dent depends on various factors such as the type and thickness of the car's metal, the shape and size of the object hitting the car, and the angle of impact. Therefore, it is difficult to determine an exact amount of force required for 130 pounds to make a car dent.

2. Can 130 pounds make a dent in any type of car?

Yes, 130 pounds can potentially make a dent in any type of car. However, the severity of the dent may vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

3. Will the location of the dent affect the impact of 130 pounds?

Yes, the location of the dent can affect the impact of 130 pounds. For example, a dent made on a car's door may have a different severity compared to a dent made on the car's hood.

4. Can 130 pounds make a dent in a car's bumper?

Yes, 130 pounds can make a dent in a car's bumper. However, the thickness and material of the bumper may affect the severity of the dent.

5. Can 130 pounds make multiple dents in a car?

Yes, it is possible for 130 pounds to make multiple dents in a car. The number and severity of dents will depend on the factors mentioned above, such as the angle and size of the object hitting the car.