Discrete math:propositional logic

In summary: ElucidusIn summary, the precedence for the operators is:Operator Rightarrow Leftrightarrow According to Elucidus, part (c) may end up being ambiguous.
svishal03

Homework Statement

I want to construct a truth table for the following propositions

Homework Equations

(a) ¬p ∨ q
(b) p ∧ q ⇒ p
(c) ¬p ∨ q ⇔ p ⇒ q

The Attempt at a Solution

Approach:
1) Determine the order of precedence:

2) Fill in the values for the operator with the higher precedence:

3) Next fill in the values for the lower precedence

I guess, answer for a , b and c is:

(a) ¬p ∨ q
p q ¬p ∨q
t t f t
t f f f
f t t t
f f t t

(b) p ∧ q ⇒ p
p q p ∧ q ⇒ p
t t t t
t f f t
f t f t
f f f t

(c) ¬p ∨ q ⇔ p ⇒ q
p q ¬p ∨q ⇔ p ⇒ q
t t f t t t
t f f f t f
f t t t t t
f f t t t t

Is this right?

Further, can anyone explain intuitive statements to explain any of the above--say (a) and (b)---i.e reasoning out (a) and (b) truth table through example statements

Homework Statement

please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your tables are not clear enough for me to make out exactly what you are doing. I'm also not convinved there is a precedence rule between [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] and [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]. Part (c) may end up being ambiguous.

--Elucidus

Can you comment upon part (a) and (b) only at least?
(a) ¬p ^ q
p q ¬p ^q
t t f t
t f f f
f t t t
f f t t

(b) p ¬ q => p
p q p ¬ q => p
t t t t
t f f t
f t f t
f f f t

Can you give statements t prove the logic?Or making it independent of precedence, srating from a scratch, how would you go about?

1. What is propositional logic?

Propositional logic is a branch of discrete math that deals with logical statements, or propositions, and how they can be combined and manipulated to form more complex statements. It is used to analyze the logical relationships between different statements and determine their truth values.

2. What are the basic components of propositional logic?

The basic components of propositional logic are propositions, logical connectives, and truth values. Propositions are statements that can be either true or false. Logical connectives are symbols used to combine propositions, such as "and" (conjunction), "or" (disjunction), and "not" (negation). Truth values represent the truth or falsity of a proposition.

3. How is propositional logic used in computer science?

Propositional logic is used in computer science to model and reason about the behavior of computer systems. It is used to design and analyze algorithms, verify the correctness of programs, and develop formal methods for software engineering.

4. What is a truth table in propositional logic?

A truth table is a table that shows the truth values of a compound proposition for every possible combination of truth values for its component propositions. It is a useful tool for evaluating the validity of logical arguments and determining the truth value of complex statements.

5. What are some common applications of propositional logic?

Propositional logic has many practical applications, including in artificial intelligence, decision making, and problem solving. It is also used in fields such as philosophy, linguistics, and mathematics to study logical reasoning and argumentation.