Finding coefficient of friction and angle of incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the coefficient of friction and angle of an incline using a distance of 18.0 meters and a time of 10.0 seconds, but the problem was not taught in class. The conversation suggests the possibility of learning it independently and asks about the use of free body diagrams, Newton's second law, and kinematics equations. Another person joins the conversation and has a similar problem with different numbers, but figures it out using acceleration and weight to determine the forces. They also mention assuming for the angle and solving for it as well.
trecton22
I need to find the coefficient of friction and the angle of an incline with only knowing a distance of 18.0 meters and a time of 10.0 seconds. I have absolutely no idea where to begin because my teacher never taught us how to do such equations. if anyone can figure the problem out for me that would be awesome of you. thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
trecton22 said:
I need to find the coefficient of friction and the angle of an incline with only knowing a distance of 18.0 meters and a time of 10.0 seconds.
Is this exactly how the problem was given to you?
trecton22 said:
I have absolutely no idea where to begin because my teacher never taught us how to do such equations.
Perhaps the point is to have you go learn it yourself. Do you have a textbook?
trecton22 said:
if anyone can figure the problem out for me that would be awesome of you. thanks a lot!
No one here will just hand you a solution, but we will help you. Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? Do you know Newton's second law? Kinematics equations? What have you learned so far?

I have the same problem, but just with different numbers, mine being 12.0m and 8.00s.

My question is whether or not I have to find acceleration.

Also, should I be assuming for one and then solving for the other? I mean, we are given no other forces so they must not have any importance.

Nevermind, got it. Acceleration is just m/s and then you just use any weight (I used 10 kg) in order to figure out the forces, which are variables.

Last edited:
nothingknower did you just assume for the angle?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a measure of how difficult it is to slide one surface over another.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object. It can also be calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of any lubricants, and the normal force applied between the surfaces.

4. How do you find the angle of incline using the coefficient of friction?

The angle of incline can be found by using the inverse tangent function of the coefficient of friction. This can be done by dividing the coefficient of friction by the normal force and then taking the inverse tangent of that value.

5. What is the significance of finding the coefficient of friction and angle of incline?

Knowing the coefficient of friction and angle of incline can help in determining the stability and safety of objects on an incline. It can also be used to calculate the minimum force needed to move an object on an incline and to design efficient machines and structures.