Calculate the average recoil force exerted on the weapon during that burst.

In summary, a soldier fired an 8-shot burst from an assault weapon at a rate of 1000 rounds per minute, with each bullet having a mass of 7.49 g and a speed of 299 m/s relative to the ground. The relationship between the 8-shot burst and 1000 rounds per minute is that the burst takes .008 seconds to complete. The concept of conservation of momentum is used to explain the recoil of the gun when a bullet is fired.
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

A soldier on a firing range fires an 8-shot burst from an assault weapon at a full automatic rate of 1000 rounds per minute. Each bullet has a mass of 7.49 g and a speed of 299 m/s relative to the ground as it leaves the barrel of the weapon.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand how 8-shot burst and 1000rounds are related
i don't know how to start this question and what basic concept should be used

Physics news on Phys.org
zhuyilun said:
i don't know how to start this question and what basic concept should be used

Hi zhuyilun! :smile:

When a bullet leaves a gun, the gun recoils, which means that it moves backwards.

It does so because of conservation of momentum. :wink:

(and what is the relationship between force and momentum?)

tiny-tim said:
Hi zhuyilun! :smile:

When a bullet leaves a gun, the gun recoils, which means that it moves backwards.

It does so because of conservation of momentum. :wink:

(and what is the relationship between force and momentum?)

i get this part now~! thanks, but what is the relationship between 8-shot burst and 1000 rounds per second

zhuyilun said:
i get this part now~! thanks, but what is the relationship between 8-shot burst and 1000 rounds per second

It's telling you that the burst takes .008 seconds. :smile:

1. What is meant by "recoil force"?

Recoil force refers to the backward force exerted on a weapon when it is fired. This force is a result of the explosion of gunpowder and the acceleration of the bullet out of the barrel.

2. How is the average recoil force calculated?

The average recoil force is calculated by dividing the total recoil force by the number of shots fired. This gives an average value of the force exerted on the weapon during a burst of shots.

3. Why is it important to calculate the average recoil force?

Calculating the average recoil force helps to understand the impact of firing a weapon on the shooter and the stability of the weapon. It also provides valuable information for designing and improving firearms.

4. What factors can affect the recoil force?

The recoil force is influenced by various factors such as the weight and design of the weapon, the amount and type of gunpowder used, and the velocity of the bullet being fired.

5. How can the average recoil force be reduced?

The average recoil force can be reduced by using a heavier weapon, using a recoil-absorbing stock or grip, or using a smaller caliber bullet with less gunpowder. Proper shooting techniques and stance can also help to reduce the felt recoil force.