Fatigue Properties of Chinese steel

In summary, the individual has joined and is in need of assistance in locating the cyclic fatigue properties of Chinese steel, specifically 30Mn2. This is for the purpose of conducting a fatigue life analysis on a Chinese truck spindle, however the properties have not been found. They have attempted to compare the chemical composition and basic mechanical properties with an AISI steel, but have not been successful. The Chinese National Standard GBT3077-1999 provides the chemical composition and heat treatment and mechanical properties for 30Mn2, including tensile and yield strength, as well as elongation after fracture and impact absorbing energy. The desired hardness is also specified as <=207 HB10/3000.
VTengineer
Hi everyone, I just joined and was wondering if anyone could help me in finding the cyclic fatigue properties of Chinese steel, specifically 30Mn2? I need to perform a fatigue life analysis on a Chinese truck spindle, but cannot find the properties anywhere. I have tried to match the chemical composition and basic mechanical properties with an AISI steel to use as a go-by but have had no luck.

Can anyone help me out?? Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
VTengineer said:
Hi everyone, I just joined and was wondering if anyone could help me in finding the cyclic fatigue properties of Chinese steel, specifically 30Mn2? I need to perform a fatigue life analysis on a Chinese truck spindle, but cannot find the properties anywhere. I have tried to match the chemical composition and basic mechanical properties with an AISI steel to use as a go-by but have had no luck.

Can anyone help me out?? Thanks!

30Mn2

Chemical composition (%)
C Si Mn
0.27-0.34 0.17-0.371 1.40-1.80

Heat treatment & mechanic properties:

Blank Size | Quenching | Tempering | Tensile strength | Yield strength
25mm | 840(degree Celsius)(water) | 500(cooled by water) | 785(MPa) | 635

Elongation after fracture(%) | Reduction of area(%)| Impact absorbing energy | Hardness(HB10/3000)
12 | 45 | 63(J) | <=207

Hello, thank you for reaching out. It can be challenging to find specific fatigue properties for Chinese steel, as there may be variations in composition and manufacturing processes. To accurately perform a fatigue life analysis, it is important to have the specific properties for the steel you are using. I would recommend reaching out to a Chinese steel manufacturer or research institute for more information on the fatigue properties of 30Mn2 steel. Additionally, you can also try contacting other researchers or engineers who have worked with Chinese steel in the past to see if they have any insights or resources that could help you. Best of luck in your research.

What is the definition of "fatigue properties" in relation to Chinese steel?

Fatigue properties refer to the ability of a material, in this case Chinese steel, to withstand repeated loading and unloading cycles without failure or damage.

What factors affect the fatigue properties of Chinese steel?

The fatigue properties of Chinese steel can be affected by a variety of factors, including chemical composition, microstructure, surface condition, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

How are fatigue properties of Chinese steel tested and measured?

Fatigue properties of Chinese steel are typically tested using a machine that applies cyclic loading and measures the resulting stress and strain. This data is then used to create a S-N curve, which shows the relationship between the number of cycles and the stress level at which failure occurs.

What are the common applications for Chinese steel with good fatigue properties?

Chinese steel with good fatigue properties is often used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction, where it is subjected to repeated loading and must withstand high levels of stress without failure.

How does the fatigue behavior of Chinese steel compare to other types of steel?

The fatigue behavior of Chinese steel can vary depending on its composition and processing, but in general, it is comparable to other types of steel. However, some studies have shown that Chinese steel may have slightly better fatigue properties due to its unique microstructure.