Engineering, Photography, or Film? Which Career Path Should I Choose?

• Thread starter fatcrispy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the person thinks they would be happiest in science or engineering. They feel overwhelmed and would like some advice. They plan on going to college and then looking into different careers.
fatcrispy
I've thought about being a photographer, film director, actor, engineer, physicist, mathematician, pilot, entrepreneur, etc... But I can't pick. My personality type is INTP which means I like working alone and on my own projects. With that in mind and my interests I think a Photographer, Engineer, Physicist, or Mathematician would be the ideal choice. I have 2 years under my belt in college. All mostly math(Diff. EQ. and Phy 2). I can see myself really thinking deep on some math theory or physics problem. I mean, when I was young I would be the kid taking apart everything. Like the door knob/lock, computer, building k-nex sets, etc... I love to build things and assemble. I love the challenge when someone says it can't be done. I am very spatial/visual too. So, any helpful comments on what direction I should take?

I have two years until I finish my degree(in ?). Maybe I'll go for my masters or PHD. Also, would someone like me who doesn't work and has no real official experience in engineering be given an internship somewhere? I feel overwhelmed right now. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you'd be happy in science or engineering. If you plan on just getting a bachelor's degree, engineering is the most valuable in the marketplace, I think.

I was thinking film due to it's creativity factor. But, I found out engineering requires a lot of creativity as well. So, with all the math I've taken I might as well go for it. Though, the particular major I choose will help determine where I move to and hence what university to apply to. And, yes, I've also heard that engineers start off with the highest base salary. Thanks!

Yeap engineering sounds good
Which branch are you planning on doing?

fatcrispy said:
I was thinking film due to it's creativity factor. But, I found out engineering requires a lot of creativity as well. So, with all the math I've taken I might as well go for it. Though, the particular major I choose will help determine where I move to and hence what university to apply to. And, yes, I've also heard that engineers start off with the highest base salary. Thanks!

See http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm. Search also for your other options on that website. Companies don't expect you to have prior experience when applying to internships and many larger companies especially will take interns as soon as their first summer. By the time you graduate though, many jobs will require that you have had an internship. There is some more good info on engineering jobs and internships at http://www.trincoll.edu/StudentLife/CareerServices/students/eng_resources/ . See especially the "Everything You Need to Know..." paper. There is a lot of other good info out there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the most effective ways to narrow down my career options?

There are several ways to narrow down your career options, including:

• Identify your interests, skills, and values to determine what type of career aligns with them.
  • Conduct informational interviews with professionals in your desired fields to gain more insight.
  • Take career assessments or personality tests to help identify potential career paths.
  • Research current job market trends and growth potential in different industries.
  • Consider internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain hands-on experience.

2. How can I determine the right career path for me?

Determining the right career path for you involves a combination of self-reflection and research. Start by identifying your skills, interests, and values. Then, research different industries and job roles that align with those qualities. It can also be helpful to speak with professionals in those fields and gain hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing opportunities. Remember, it's okay if your career path evolves over time and it's important to stay open to new opportunities.

3. Is it better to have a broad or narrow focus when narrowing down my career?

It depends on your individual goals and preferences. Some people thrive in a specific and narrow career path, while others prefer a broad and diverse range of experiences. It's important to consider your strengths and interests when deciding which approach is best for you.

4. How can I ensure that I make the right decision when narrowing down my career?

Making the right decision when narrowing down your career involves careful consideration and research. Take the time to thoroughly explore your options, speak with professionals in your desired fields, and gain hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing. It's also important to trust your instincts and choose a career that aligns with your passions and values.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to narrow down my career options?

If you are struggling to narrow down your career options, consider seeking guidance from a career counselor or mentor. They can help you identify your strengths and interests, provide resources for exploration, and offer advice on decision-making. It can also be helpful to network with professionals in your desired fields and gain more insight into different career paths. Remember, it's okay if your career path evolves over time and it's important to stay open to new opportunities.