What Makes the Cyclotron So Versatile?

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclotron
In summary, the conversation discusses the workings of a cyclotron and the confusion around the particle's movement in a spiral rather than a circle. It is explained that the main feature of the cyclotron is its versatility and independence of particle energy until it becomes relativistic. The orbit radius and particle energy increase with each turn due to the voltage gained from the Dees. It is also mentioned that for vertical focusing, the magnetic field must decrease slightly at larger radii. A recommended source for more information is provided.
quasar_4
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding the workings of a cyclotron. Supposing the typical design with two D shaped objects, changing potential differences between the D's, and a source of charges in the center, I can see that the particles would move in arcs (circles) at a constant energy. I just don't quite understand why they end up gaining energy, moving in a spiral of increasing radius, rather than a circle. Can someone help me to understand this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hyperphysics link, bottom of page, seems to describe the simple logic. The particle would move in a circle in the magnetic field at a given velocity. Each time it crosses the gap between the two D's, an electric field accelerates the particle across the gap. The circle gets wider each time the particle accelerates.

Some links including basic principles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/cyclot.html

(Note I scrapped my initial comments)

Last edited:
The main feature that makes the cyclotron so versatile is that the particle revolution frequency, qB/(2 pi m), is independent of particle energy until it becomes relativistic. So the orbit radius and the particle energy grow by the voltage gained from the Dees every turn. One requirement, not often mentioned, is that for vertical focusing, the magnetic field has to decrease slightly at larger radii, or else the particles will hit the top or bottom of the Dees.
Bob S
[added] This FREE online book by Stan Humphries is a good source of information on "The Principles of Charged Particle Accelerators"
http://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html

Last edited:

What is a cyclotron?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that is used to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds in order to study their properties or create new particles.

How does a cyclotron work?

A cyclotron works by using a strong magnetic field to guide charged particles along a spiral path. As the particles move, they are accelerated by an alternating electric field between two hollow semicircular electrodes, known as dees, until they reach very high speeds.

What are the main components of a cyclotron?

The main components of a cyclotron include the magnet, which produces the strong magnetic field, the dees, which create the electric field, and the particle beam, which contains the accelerated particles.

What is the purpose of a cyclotron?

The purpose of a cyclotron is to accelerate particles to high speeds in order to study their properties or create new particles. It is used in various fields of science, such as nuclear physics, medical imaging, and materials science.

What are the advantages of using a cyclotron?

One of the main advantages of using a cyclotron is that it can produce high-energy particles without the need for expensive and complex equipment. It is also more compact and efficient compared to other types of particle accelerators. Additionally, a cyclotron can produce a continuous beam of particles, making it useful for various applications in research and medicine.