Wardrobe Staples: My Must-Have Outfit

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the one outfit I can't live without is a black T-shirt, black ballet flats or similar casual shoe, and jeans. I also have a black slacks, a polo shirt and a sweat-shirt.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's the one outfit you can't live without? Here's my basic "uniform":

white oxford shirt
black cotton pullover sweater
pair of jeans
black loafers

Physics news on Phys.org
T-shirt (usually with biker silk-screen graphics)
Blue jeans (flannel-lined in winter months)
Cotton short in cooler weather, fleece-lined in winter.
Hats, gloves, jackets as winter dictates.

As little as possible in summer, except to protect from sun-burn when fishing or gardening.

hmmm for winter I usually stick with

cotton/cashmere blend sweater
dark blue jeans
dr. comfort ankle socks
white puma shoes

Last edited:
I can wear my outfit almost year round here. In the summer I skip the pullover, in the winter, I add a jacket.

I actually thought this thread would be about a new device to hem pants :redface:.

Ahem...ok:

My favorite Levis
Black t-shirt
Black boots (ankle high, ~2" heel)

lisab said:
I actually thought this thread would be about a new device to hem pants :redface:.

No one would ever actually hem pants with a stapler.

OK, I did. Once.

Math Is Hard said:

OK, I did. Once.
I have hemmed a skirt with a stapler. I was not the one wearing the skirt, BTW. Once it was marked and trimmed, I had the young lady turn so that I could re-mark it, and crease it with an iron, and then make the quick fix.

My mother was a master seamstress, and I learned a lot from her. I also maintained her sewing machines (modest though they were) and tuned them to work properly.

Wool crusher hat
Fleece jacket
Sun protective shirt
Shorts (or convertible pants where the legs zip off)
Sandals

Colorado has the highest average elevation (6800 ft) in the US and is considered a high risk state for skin cancer, hence the hat (Colorado does have above average skin cancer rates, but isn't as high as one might think - http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm)

If there's a chance of heading off the established trails, then the sandals are replaced with at least running shoes and probably with hiking boots.

In the winter, I'll add a parka to that outfit. (And jeans when the temp drops below 40 - the Colorado state uniform of shorts, sandals, and a parka is only a slight exaggeration. And the less publicized fashion quirk is the lack of tatoos - Coloradans sport mountain biking scars in place of tatoos).

Last edited:
Levi's 501 jeans, t-shirt or a shirt that has bit of collar and three or so neck buttons (What are they called?), sandals in summer and boots in winter.

My multi-purpose outfit (i.e., trying to pack light for travel) is black slacks, a patterned/colored cotton blouse, and black ballet flats or similar casual shoe. I can add a black sweater (one of the ones with a single button in the front that you find everywhere now) if it's cold. It's something I can wear out to most decent restaurants for dinner and not be underdressed, or head to a casual pub and not be overdressed.

Of course, in reality, I would have the blouses and an assortment of skirts and jeans along with the black slacks (that's why I wear the ballet flats for traveling, because I can wear them with jeans or skirts) and the blouses mix and match with all of them to dress up or down.

I wear my birthday suit everyday, although usually I wear something over it.

In summer, shorts and T-shirt, but in winter it's jeans and pull-over.

I have about 100 flavours of short-sleeve, collared, 100% cotton or linen shirts in my closet.

It occurred to me that I have hated button-up shirts since I was a kid - probably because they were required at school and church. I think I own 4 long-sleeve button-front shirts in total, and two of those are fleece-lined for use as light-weight jackets. The rest of my shirts are all T-shirts, with one polo shirt and one sweat-shirt. When I started getting very ill from fragrances and could no longer fly, my consulting days were over and I gave all my jackets, ties, dress shirts, etc to Goodwill.

Clothing got really cheap for me for a couple of years when I was hosting open-mike jams at a local tavern, because the beer distributors used those jams as a way to promote new brews - Maine is full of micro-breweries. I'd introduce the rep and let him use my sound system to play games with the patrons. Very often, they had T-shirts with micro-brew logos on them to give as prizes, so I'd snag one of those. I had a really nice one with a portrait of Joshua Chamberlain (Hero of Little Round Top at Gettysburg) advertising Chamberlain Pale Ale by Shipyard Brewery. I wore it until it practically fell apart.

George Jones said:
t-shirt or a shirt that has bit of collar and three or so neck buttons (What are they called?)

They are called polo shirts. I have several of those in my wardrobe though, at the moment, most of my outfits consist of a button up shirt with jeans (dark or light blue or black), either a coat or a hoody (depending on the weather/occasion), scarf and either trainers or dress shoes (again, depending upon the occasion).

Pocket tee, I have about 30 in a rainbow of colors (take the one off the bottom of the stack add clean to the top).
Blue jeans in the rainy season, shorts in summer.
Some kind of shoe in the winter, sandals (preferably Berkies) in the summer.

I have a closet full of Polo shirts and a couple pair of slacks for when I need to dress up.

I wish I had one, it is such a struggle every morning to decide what to wear.. I usually like some dress pants, with a v-neck black shirt and some brightly colored cardigan (casual chic).

I don't really have a favorite outfit.

Here are my favorite items of clothing:

-Cloudveil® moisture-wicking pants/shorts hybrid (Bottom half of the legs come off for summertime.)

-Mountain Hardwear® GORE-TEX® soft shell.

-Feet: Caribou Sorels® in winter; 5.10® guide approach shoes in spring/summer

-T-shirts are my favorite.

-Levis for jeans.

I'm intrigued by the pants that convert into shorts. I don't think I've seen those for women.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm intrigued by the pants that convert into shorts. I don't think I've seen those for women.

http://www.cloudveil.com/womens/pants/softshell/inertia+convertible+pant--9461/

That is the women's version of the style I have. The bottom portion of each leg unzips so you can convert them to shorts. I bought mine at an outdoor clothing/gear outlet for $30.

Whatever you do, try to find an outlet. I shop at Sierra Trading Post to avoid paying full price for the clothing I like. I also do not like shopping for clothes; hence the reason I try to purchase items which are usable in all four seasons. Saves money as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphic tee shirt, dark blue jeans, and shoes (I've come to really like those casual style Sketchers, thinking of buying an identical pair to replace my current ones once they wear out). Have one or two hoodies for the winter.

Since I'm colorblind my shirts are almost all black or white, I have maybe six that aren't.

Math Is Hard said:

OK, I did. Once.

That reminded me of something. When we were teenagers - that means back in seventies - it was very fashionable in Poland to sew one half of the metal zipper to the hem, so that teeth were sticking down just below the fold.

Completely random & OT.

I used a stapler not for a "fix" but to tack a skirt hem for a girl-friend. I taped a yardstick to a corner of the doorway, so I could mark her skirt, and since I had no straight pins, I used staples to tack the hem temporarily. After doubling and pressing the hem with an iron, I made a temporary "fix" with cloth tape and removed the staples so she could wear the skirt to a party. We had a common friend who did costuming for the university's theater department, but he had gone home for the holidays, and I didn't have a sewing machine. At least I didn't use rivets and duct-tape like the NASCAR guys.

Math Is Hard said:

They do, but they're not very attractive because they are still cut somewhat boxy. I have two pairs of them I got when I went to Mozambique. I prefer the pair that rolls up and has straps that hold up the cuff in more of a capri pants type length than the one that unzips the legs off entirely to become shorts (because I'm not sure what you're then supposed to do with the rest of the legs). Try shopping in a place that sells camping gear.

I wear jeans a lot, but I had to switch from 501's to 505's. At my age when I got to go I got to go, and I don't want to be messing around with buttons.:eek:

edward said:
I wear jeans a lot, but I had to switch from 501's to 505's. At my age when I got to go I got to go, and I don't want to be messing around with buttons.:eek:
When you got to go, you got to go...

Moonbear said:
They do, but they're not very attractive because they are still cut somewhat boxy. I have two pairs of them I got when I went to Mozambique. I prefer the pair that rolls up and has straps that hold up the cuff in more of a capri pants type length than the one that unzips the legs off entirely to become shorts (because I'm not sure what you're then supposed to do with the rest of the legs). Try shopping in a place that sells camping gear.

yeah, they don't look so great, do they? but lululemons are supposed to give you teh sexay.

my basic outfit would be:

black cotton t-shirt - $5
blue jeans - $30
leather belt - $20?
white tube socks - $1
pair of sneakers - $100 (actually, "approach" shoes, which are sort of a hybrid between hiking and climbing )

1. T-shirt -- Preferably supporting or advertising local industry / mercantile -- ~$20
2. Elastic waist skirt -- preferably ankle length. $20-40
3. Non-Croc-looking Crocs. ~$50-60
4. Baby Ellie in a Moby -- priceless.

(if cold add a sweater, Air Force jacket and a wool hat)

Flannel animal print pajamas and thick non-skid sock booties preferably with animals on them.

Evo said:
thick non-skid sock booties preferably with animals on them.

Such as these?? :biggrin:

http://marietjesweb.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/pantoffels_jeroen_1.jpg

Air force ones, high tops.

monique said:
such as these?? :biggrin:

http://marietjesweb.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/pantoffels_jeroen_1.jpg
<gasp> mine! Mine! Mine!

Evo said:
<gasp> mine! Mine! Mine!
How do they gut out and tan the bunnies?

My usual clothes are a black t-shirt, a flannel shirt over the tee unbuttoned, blue jeans, and black boots. For some reason everyone thinks I'm into grunge music. :-/

IMG_0148.jpg

No, no, not bunny slippers. Goofy slippers! (Just don't try to walk up stairs wearing them. Trust me.)

I'm truly surprised at the jeans-as-wardrobe-staple, although likely I shouldn't be.

Um, hrm. Staples for winter during the day during the week is a black knitted skirt that falls just above the knee, a collection of turtlenecks in an assortment of colours, black tights, and over-sized men's cardigans to wear over top. Add black pumps with a reasonable heel for every-day wear indoors. Weekends is all about comfy. Camisole covered by a zippered hoodie, yoga pants/soccer pants/some kind of straight legged, loose fitting, comfortable wear.

That's the basics, I guess. Switch out black slacks for the skirt, also throw in an assortment of knitted dresses, scarves, and brightly coloured tights for variety.

That's winter stuff.