Is America ready for a woman president?

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of America having a female president and whether or not the country is ready for one. Some individuals express their support for a female president, while others mention specific concerns or reservations about certain potential candidates. The conversation also touches on the representation of different races and religions in the presidency and the limitations of the two-party system. Finally, there is a mention of the desire for a president with strong moral and ethical values.

Is it?

• Yes

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Richard87
Is America ready for a woman president?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, why not?
Still won't vote for her unless she fits my political views, but that's because I'm not sexist.

chayced said:
Sure, why not?
Still won't vote for her unless she fits my political views, but that's because I'm not sexist.

Ditto. Are there really any other views here on PF?

We almost had one so why not?

I'm not even ready for a woman wife. But I got one anyway.

I think so. The only issue would be who she is and her political views. I am fairly certain that Clinton would have lost if she had received the nomination in the last election but mainly because I think too many people really dislike her.

I'm convinced the US leans center-right and the most likely nominee will be a democrat so the odds of a female pres in the near future are slim. Who knows though - maybe Christie Whitman will run.

...but "ready"? Sure why not? The main reason we haven't had one is not many women choose to enter politics. Same goes for blacks for that matter.

jimmysnyder said:
I'm not even ready for a woman wife. But I got one anyway.
Jay Leno picked Richard Pryor as the funniest comedian ever, I nominate jimmysnyder.:biggrin:

Sure - why not. Probably not Hillary Clinton, though. :biggrin:

Are we ready for a woman president? Are we ready for a muslim president? What about a Jewish one or a latino one? How about an ATHEIST one!? (don't hold your breath)

We'll see when a qualified and charismatic candidate steps forward. I sure didn't think we were ready for a Black one, but we have one now.

Re: Clinton. A Woman, yes, but a hag is another story. Maybe she could find a place in the UN backrooms shopping her Yale stuff.

LBloom said:
Are we ready for a woman president? Are we ready for a muslim president? What about a Jewish one or a latino one? How about an ATHEIST one!? (don't hold your breath)

We'll see when a qualified and charismatic candidate steps forward. I sure didn't think we were ready for a Black one, but we have one now.

While I wondered if maybe I was only wishing I never really doubted Obama would be elected. I think that Latino race politics would make a hispanic president a harder sell. Sadly I think that as far as religion goes we are much less likely to see a non judeo-christian president than anything else.

We will only see Christian presidents for certain.

The Catholic barrier's been broken (Kennedy), the AA barrier's been broken, why not the glass ceiling?

Absolutely, America is ready. However, America will (hopefully) never elect Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, or Ann Coulter.

Other than that... Michelle Obama for '16, anyone?

I nominate Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, in no particular order for VP and P. Awesome ticket, IMO.

Depends on if they pander to the base or if they look to the center. That's why the Republicans lost in 2008, not enough looking to the center. Well, that and Sarah Palin.

Ready? Sure. Whether or not a decent female candidate will make it through the party ranks is another story. We got close with Hillary.

Char. Limit said:
We will only see Christian presidents for certain.

The Catholic barrier's been broken (Kennedy), the AA barrier's been broken, why not the glass ceiling?

Absolutely, America is ready. However, America will (hopefully) never elect Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, or Ann Coulter.

Other than that... Michelle Obama for '16, anyone?

I'd really like to see an openly atheist president in my lifetime. As it stands right now, atheists are being asked to resign, simply for being atheist. Some state constitutions still say that officeholders must believe in God, even though it's unenforceable because of the US Constitution.

http://blog.taragana.com/politics/2009/12/11/atheist-city-councilman-in-nc-challenged-by-foes-citing-outdated-clause-of-state-constitution-7105/"

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Clinton was dragging around 'way too much baggage, and would have lost the election in a landslide, though. McCain/Palin would have been a disaster, I fear, but they could have beaten Clinton, no matter how good her VP pick might have been.

I'd like to see a conscientious and intelligent person as president, and one who is not beholden to either D or R parties.

I want to see someone who has straightforward moral and ethical values, and who practices good stewardship, amongst other good practices.

A woman candidate with Ron Paul's agenda running as an Independent, with high IQ and wisdom factor, preferably in her 40's who doesn't believe in religion or god. I'd vote for her.

Astronuc said:
I'd like to see a conscientious and intelligent person as president, and one who is not beholden to either D or R parties.

I want to see someone who has straightforward moral and ethical values, and who practices good stewardship, amongst other good practices.
I agree whole-heartedly. Now how can we possibly accomplish this outside of the broken and corrupt 2-party system?

Astronuc said:

I accept.

Evo said:
I accept.

I'd vote for you, but you'd have to promise to stay away from your backyard canyon in wet grass conditions.

rewebster said:
I'd vote for you, but you'd have to promise to stay away from your backyard canyon in wet grass conditions.

The Secret Service would fill it in, for sure.

Ready for a woman president in what way? Ready for the status quo that remains regardless of what race or gender the president may be?

Jack21222 said:
I'd really like to see an openly atheist president in my lifetime. As it stands right now, atheists are being asked to resign, simply for being atheist. Some state constitutions still say that officeholders must believe in God, even though it's unenforceable because of the US Constitution.

http://blog.taragana.com/politics/2009/12/11/atheist-city-councilman-in-nc-challenged-by-foes-citing-outdated-clause-of-state-constitution-7105/"

I'd love to see it happen, even though I'm a non-devout Christian. However, it won't happen.

I'd also love to see an Independent President.

Last edited by a moderator:
The powers that be (TPTB) will use whatever taking head works. They are focused on their goals and are completely egalitarian/pragmatic as far as who they use.

Now who can be sold with enough TV ads is a marketing question and I have no expertise in that area.

But remember keep it simple (i.e. "Change").

How about "Tough AND Beautiful"?

Astronuc said:

I agree but "money talks everyone else walks."

I believe the US would have elected an American version of Margaret Thatcher 30 years ago.

mheslep said:
I believe the US would have elected an American version of Margaret Thatcher 30 years ago.
Most likely.

berkeman said:
I nominate Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, in no particular order for VP and P. Awesome ticket, IMO.

I actually thought the republicans would have won if they'd chosen Powell as VP this time around. But with things the way they were going, I'm sure they purposefully threw the election with their VP choice.

Now if they could just get Palin's twin to run on their ticket:

tina-fey.jpg

Tina Fey

I'd schwing from Demo to Rep for her.

Oh but she's just a comedienne turned actress. What qualifies her as presidential material?

bfb.jpg

What indeed...

But in all seriousness, a Fey-Rice or Rice-Fey ticket would rule. I'd sleep easily with either of these ladies at the helm.

1. What are the current statistics on female representation in political leadership roles in America?

As of 2021, women make up approximately 27% of the United States Congress and hold 9 out of 50 governorships. In terms of the presidency, there have been no female presidents in American history.

2. How does America compare to other countries in terms of electing female leaders?

According to the World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap Report, the United States ranks 22nd out of 153 countries in terms of political empowerment for women. This puts America behind countries like New Zealand, Germany, and Canada, which have all had female heads of state.

3. Are there any potential barriers or challenges for a woman to become president in America?

Historically, women have faced discrimination and sexism in the political sphere, which can make it more difficult for them to gain support and win elections. Additionally, there is a lack of diverse representation in government, which can make it challenging for women to break into leadership roles.

4. What are the potential benefits of having a woman president in America?

Having a woman president could bring diverse perspectives and experiences to the table, potentially leading to more inclusive policies. It could also serve as a symbol of progress and equality for women in America and around the world.

5. How have female candidates performed in past presidential elections?

In the 2016 election, Hillary Clinton became the first female nominee for a major political party in America. She won the popular vote but ultimately lost the election. In the 2020 election, Kamala Harris became the first woman to be elected as Vice President of the United States.