Acceleration of two masses and a pulley

In summary, Torquil's answer is that the pulley will be accelerated faster if the masses are different.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

P is a pulley with neglectable mass which is being affected by an external force F. Determine the accelerations of P, m and M.

I've got a picture, but it goes something like this:

There's a pulley and from it (on each side) there are two masses hanging. On the left is m and on the right is M. The force F is from the centre of the pulley and is pointing straight up. (I hope you understand what I mean.)

And it's also assumed that the rope is massless.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

There are only forces in the y-direction and I'm using up as the positive axis.

m: T - mg = mam

M: T - Mg = MaM

And I know that since the pulley is massless (or can be considered as such) the forces on it need to balance out or it'd be accelerating with infinite acceleration. The forces acting on it are F and 2T, tension from each of the sides.

That means that T = ½F and:

½F - mg = mam

am = ½(F/m) - g

and doing the same for M I get:

aM = ½(F/M) - g

This is stated as correct in my book. My problem is the acceleration of the pulley - I think I'm not seeing something.

Because for some reason (this I can see from the answer that is supposed to be correct) aP = ½am + ½aM

Why exactly is that? Is it because the tension from the rope is half that of the force? I'm a bit confused and I don't want to guess a reason, because that's not going to be so good if I'm not right..

Ah, I'll be thankful for any help :)

- Hanna

Physics news on Phys.org
If the 2 weights are different are they moving?

Hannisch said:

That means that T = ½F and:

½F - mg = mam

am = ½(F/m) - g

and doing the same for M I get:

aM = ½(F/M) - g

T = F1+F2 =F1/2+F1/2=F for a start. But is the tension necesarry?

I guess they're different (it doesn't say that they're the same and the question clearly differentiates them), so I'd say they probably are moving relative to each other.

Otherwise their acceleration would be the same as that of the pulley, right?

Why wouldn't the tension be necessary? It's the only force affecting the masses up and the only force affecting the pulley down.

And I don't agree that T = F. I definitely don't, since there's tension from both sides of the pulley and that means that 2T = F.

Hint: I think you will have to use the fact that the rope has a constant length, and the pulley will keep it tight all through the movement. So the pulley has to move at some acceleration related to the accelerations of the masses.

Just to clarify: I agree with everything you have done in the first post, but I think you need to use what I wrote above to derive the movement of the pulley.

Good luck!

Torquil

Torquil: That makes a lot of sense. Since the tension is affecting the pulley equally on both sides, I guess that means it would have the half the acceleration of m and half that of M. Thanks!

Hannisch said:
Why wouldn't the tension be necessary? It's the only force affecting the masses up and the only force affecting the pulley down.

And I don't agree that T = F. I definitely don't, since there's tension from both sides of the pulley and that means that 2T = F.

My approach works just as well, as I see now.

Anyway if the 2 masses are equal then aM=am=aP=F/(m+M)

But as the masses are different then the smaller one will be accelerated faster then the pulley and the other slower. The pulley will be accelerated faster then in the previous case.

1. What is the acceleration of two masses connected by a pulley?

The acceleration of two masses connected by a pulley is determined by the difference in their masses and the tension in the string connecting them. The heavier mass will experience a smaller acceleration compared to the lighter mass due to its larger inertia. The acceleration of the system can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion.

2. What is the role of the pulley in the acceleration of two masses?

The pulley acts as a pivot point for the string connecting the two masses. It allows the tension in the string to be transferred from one mass to the other, causing both masses to accelerate. Without the pulley, the two masses would not be able to move in relation to each other.

3. How do friction and air resistance affect the acceleration of two masses and a pulley?

Friction and air resistance can decrease the acceleration of two masses connected by a pulley. Friction between the string and the pulley can cause the string to slip, reducing the tension and therefore the acceleration of the masses. Air resistance can also act on the masses, slowing them down and reducing their acceleration. These factors should be taken into account when calculating the acceleration of the system.

4. Can the acceleration of two masses and a pulley be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of two masses and a pulley can be negative. This means that the masses are decelerating or slowing down, instead of accelerating or speeding up. This can happen when the tension in the string is less than the weight of the masses, causing them to move in the opposite direction of the tension.

5. How can the acceleration of two masses and a pulley be increased?

The acceleration of two masses and a pulley can be increased by increasing the tension in the string connecting the masses. This can be done by increasing the weight of the heavier mass or decreasing the weight of the lighter mass. Additionally, decreasing the friction and air resistance in the system can also increase the acceleration of the masses.