Diode Rectification: Estimating Shutoff Time After Peak Voltage

• Thread starter nickmai123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, after the capacitor discharges, the voltage decays exponentially and reaches a value just past the peak of the input sine wave.
nickmai123
1. The question.
Suppose that the input frequency into a full-wave diode bridge rectifier is 60Hz, and suppose that the RC time constant of the network filter capacitor and the load resistance is 10ms.
Estimate the time after the peak input voltage when the diode shuts off.

The circuit looks like this:
http://Newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/cdhw/Electronics2/PHY2003-C14.2.gif

Homework Equations

I have no idea where to start. I do know that the ripple voltage equation for full wave rectification is:

[tex]\Delta V = \frac{I_{load}}{fC}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that after the voltage hits it's peak value, the voltage decays at both the rate of discharge of the capacitor and the sinusoidal input. I also know that I have to find the time it takes for the decreasing rate to become dependent only on the discharge of the capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you tell us what you're supposed to solve?

Sorry, lol.

Question: Estimate the time after the peak input voltage when the diode shuts off.

Suppose that you have a capacitor charged up to some voltage, and suddenly apply a resistor load. The voltage across the capacitor will then discharge exponentially. Do you know how to derive the expression for the voltage across the capacitor? Then, having that expression, do you know how to derive the initial rate of change (slope) of that voltage?

Does this give you any ideas?

The Electrician said:
Suppose that you have a capacitor charged up to some voltage, and suddenly apply a resistor load. The voltage across the capacitor will then discharge exponentially. Do you know how to derive the expression for the voltage across the capacitor? Then, having that expression, do you know how to derive the initial rate of change (slope) of that voltage?

Does this give you any ideas?

Yeah sorta. I knew that I had to do:

[tex]V_{c} = V_{p}(1-e^{\frac{-t}{RC}})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dV_{c}}{dt} = \frac{-V_{p}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}}{RC}[/tex]

Should I just set this equal to the rate of change of the voltage of the input sine wave? I.e.:
[tex]\frac{dV_{c}}{dt} = \frac{-V_{p}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}}{RC} = -(2\pi f) V_{c}cos{(2\pi f t)}[/tex]

Last edited:
That's what I would do. Work it out and see if the number you get makes sense; it should be just a little past the peak of the sine wave.

1. What is diode rectification?

Diode rectification is the process of converting alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) using a diode, which is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction.

2. How does diode rectification work?

During the positive half-cycle of the AC input, the diode conducts and allows current to flow through it. During the negative half-cycle, the diode blocks the current from flowing. This results in a pulsating DC output.

3. What is peak voltage and why is it important in diode rectification?

Peak voltage is the maximum voltage reached during the positive half-cycle of the AC input. It is important in diode rectification because it determines the maximum voltage that the diode needs to withstand, and also affects the shutoff time after the peak voltage.

4. How is the shutoff time after peak voltage estimated?

The shutoff time after peak voltage can be estimated by using the diode's reverse recovery time, which is the time it takes for the diode to block current after the peak voltage is reached. This time can be measured using a diode tester or can be found in the diode's datasheet.

5. Why is it important to estimate the shutoff time after peak voltage in diode rectification?

Estimating the shutoff time after peak voltage is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the diode rectifier. If the shutoff time is too long, it can cause power loss and affect the output voltage. On the other hand, if the shutoff time is too short, it can lead to voltage spikes and potentially damage the diode.