PVMs of commuting observables

This concludes the proof. In summary, the spectral resolutions of two observables A and B with [A,B]=0 can be written as A = \sum_k a_k P_k and B= \sum_j b_j Q_j, where P_k and Q_j are projectors onto the eigenstates of their respective operator. It can then be shown that the commutator between these projectors, [P_k,Q_j], is equal to zero for all k and j, which proves that [A,B]=0 implies [P_k,Q_j]=0.
adjklx

Homework Statement

Consider two observables [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex][A,B]=0[/tex]. Given the spectral resolutions of each operator:

[tex]A = \sum_k a_k P_k[/tex]

[tex]B= \sum_j b_j Q_j[/tex]

where [tex]P_k[/tex] and [tex]Q_j[/tex] are projectors onto the eigenstates of their respective operator.

Show that [tex][P_k,Q_j]=0[/tex] for every [tex]k[/tex] and [tex]j[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I had two different ways of going about this problem:

1) Since [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] commute there exists a common complete set of eigenstates between them. Writing both of their spectral resolutions in terms of this basis gives:

[tex][P_k,Q_j] = [P_k,P_j] = 0[/tex] for all k and j. This answer seems wrong to me because I'm ignoring all the other possible PVMs that I could use for these two operators.

2) [tex][A,B] = \sum_{k,j} a_k b_j [P_k,Q_j] = 0 [/tex] Once I have this expression I'm not quite sure what to do with it. One thing that has crossed my mind is this:

[tex][A,B] = \sum_{k,j} a_k b_j [P_k,Q_j] = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\implies \sum_{k,j} a_k b_j P_k Q_j = (\sum_{k,j} a_k b_j P_k Q_j)*[/tex]

but I'm not quite sure if this leads to anything. I also thought that there might be a reason that each term in the sum should go to zero individually and somehow it's only possible that the commutator in each term can go to zero. This didn't make much sense to me though because what if some of the eigenvalues [tex] a_k[/tex] and [tex] b_j [/tex] were zero.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your second approach is on the right track. Here's how you can continue:

From [A,B]=0, we have:

\sum_{k,j} a_k b_j [P_k,Q_j] = 0

Since the commutator [P_k,Q_j] is a scalar, we can move it outside the summation:

\sum_{k,j} [P_k,Q_j] a_k b_j = 0

Now, since this holds for all values of a_k and b_j, we can say that each term in the sum must be equal to zero:

[P_k,Q_j] = 0 for all k and j

This shows that the commutator between the projectors P_k and Q_j is zero, and therefore [A,B]=0 implies [P_k,Q_j]=0.

1. What are PVMs of commuting observables?

PVMs (Projective Valued Measures) of commuting observables are mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics to describe measurements of physical quantities that can be observed simultaneously. They are a collection of operators that represent different possible outcomes of a measurement and their associated probabilities.

2. How are PVMs of commuting observables used?

PVMs are used to calculate the probabilities of obtaining different outcomes when measuring a system with multiple observables. They help to describe the possible states of a system and how they can change over time.

3. What is the relationship between PVMs and commuting observables?

Commuting observables are observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other. PVMs are used to represent the outcomes of these measurements and their associated probabilities. In other words, PVMs are a mathematical representation of commuting observables.

4. How do PVMs of commuting observables relate to quantum entanglement?

PVMs are particularly important in studying quantum entanglement, which is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even at great distances. PVMs help to describe the possible states of entangled particles and how they can change based on measurements.

5. Can PVMs of commuting observables be used to make predictions?

Yes, PVMs can be used to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements on a quantum system. By using PVMs, scientists can calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. However, these predictions are based on probabilities rather than definite outcomes, as quantum mechanics involves inherent uncertainty.