Pushing books - force, kinetic and static friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a woman pushing a box of books up a ramp with a force F at an angle of 27.5 degrees. The box has a mass of 36.5 kg and the coefficients of friction between the ramp and the box are given as mu_s = 0.860 and mu_k = 0.320. The woman needs to apply a minimum force to keep the box moving up the ramp at a constant speed. To solve the problem, the equations for acceleration = 0 and Fnet = 0 are used, along with the equations for static and kinetic friction. After some calculations and adjustments, the minimum force needed is determined to be 360.76 N.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A woman attempts to push a box of books that has mass 36.5 kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 27.5 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the ramp and the box are mu_s and mu_k. The force F applied by the woman is horizontal.

Assume that mu_s is 0.860 and that mu_k is 0.320. What magnitude of force must the woman apply to keep the box moving up the ramp at constant speed?

Homework Equations

acceleration = 0

w = 36.5(9.8) = 357.7

μs = fs/n

μk = fk/n

n - 357.7cos(27.5) - Fsin(27.5) = 0

n=Fsin(27.5)+357.7cos(27.5)

Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5) - fs = 0

(fs = μs*n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know μs= [Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5)] / [357.7cos(27.5) + Fsin(27.5)]

I tried solving for F and i got 219.8 but that is wrong and i think it may have to do with something about not factoring in the μk.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Constant speed up the ramp. Fnet= zero

So she applies a horizontal force to push the book up at constant velocity. Some of this horizontal force is used to push the books in the direction of the ramp.

Since the object is moving, you use kinetic friction coefficient. There is frictional force and weight force opposing her hand.

so this is what i did but I am not sure how to use the kinetic friction coefficient...

Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5) - 0.86(357.7cos(27.5)) = 0

i solved for F = 493.8

now how do i use this with the kinetic friction force to get the force i need?

or do i not even need this and am on the wrong track?

thank you

Last edited:
Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5) - 0.86(357.7cos(27.5)) = 0

That looks good, except that you should use the coefficient for kinetic. Don't use static at all in that equation. Because the block is already moving, and it is only feeling kinetic friction.

If the question asked...what is the minimum force needed by the woman to hold the block at rest. We can imagine that the block is at rest and we would static friction.

It always depends on the scenario, so picture the motion (if there is any) of the block and go from there.

My online homework is telling me its wrong.

This is what i got.

F= [ 0.32(357.7cos(27.5)) + 357.7sin(27.5) ] / cos(27.5)

F = 266.7/cos(27.5)

F = 300.7

That is wrong though. Can you see anything wrong with it?

Thank you

Opps, forgot that she applies a horizontal force that creates an additional force between the block and the ramp surface. The normal force is larger, and so the frictional force is larger.

I think i know what is wrong. can anyone please check this?

The normal force isn't just the cos component of Fg it is also the sin component of the force being pushed on the box and that is what i didnt include...

Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5) - 0.32(Fsin(27.7) + 357.7cos(27.5)) = 0

Fcos(27.5) - 165.2 - 0.32Fsin(27.5) - 101.5 = 0

solve for F

Fcos(27.5) - 0.32Fsin(27.5) = 266.7

F(cos(27.5) - 0.32sin(27.5)) = 266.7

F = 266.7 / (cos(27.5) - 0.32sin(27.5))

F = 266.7 / 0.73925

F = 360.8 N

Does that look right?

Thanks for any help :)

I think that is what i just did in my calculations. can you look it over for me and see if it looks ok?

Fcos(27.5) - 357.7sin(27.5) - 0.32(357.7cos(27.5)) -0.32Fsin27.5 =0

Something like that, check the sin/cos stuff.

Yeah, i got the same answer. 360.76N, hopefully they accept that.

i will try it. Thanks for all the help. i appreciate it :)

That was correct. Thank you

1. What is force and how does it relate to pushing books?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. When you push a book, you are exerting a force on it, causing it to move or accelerate.

2. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object that is already in motion, while static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it.

3. Why do I have to push harder to move a heavier book compared to a lighter book?

The amount of force required to move an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the heavier the book is, the more force is needed to overcome its inertia and move it.

4. How does the surface of the book affect the amount of force needed to push it?

The surface of the book can affect the amount of force needed to push it due to the type of friction present. Rougher surfaces have higher levels of friction, making it more difficult to push the book compared to a smooth surface.

5. Can I reduce the amount of force needed to push a book?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the amount of force needed to push a book. You can use lubricants to reduce the friction between the book and the surface it is on, or you can increase the surface area of your hand or the object you are using to push the book, distributing the force over a larger area.