Which math classes should I take to compliment a Physics degree?

In summary, if you are pursuing a Physics/Mathematics double major at Oregon State, with a focus on physics and a possible interest in Astrophysics for graduate school, it is recommended that you complete the following upper division math courses: Advanced Calculus I and II, Discrete Math/Mathematical Software, Linear Algebra II, Abstract Algebra, Mathematical Modeling, Complex Variables, Systems of Differential Equations, and Metric Spaces and Topology. These courses will provide a strong foundation for graduate level physics classes. It is also suggested to consider classes such as Partial Differential Equations, Tensor Calculus, and Advanced Calculus for a well-rounded mathematical background. Skipping undergraduate level classes in favor of more advanced graduate level classes, such as Differential or Riemann
Serpa
I'm working on a Physics/Mathematics double major at Oregon State, primarily focusing on physics, and I want to know which upper division math courses best synthesize with a physics program in graduate school. Right now I'm leaning toward Astrophysics.

Of the classes described http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/CourseList.aspx?subjectcode=MTH&campus=corvallis&level=upper", the University requires that I complete:

MTH 311 Advanced Calculus I
MTH 355 Discrete Math/Mathematical Software
MTH 312 Advanced Calculus II
MTH 342 Linear Algebra II
MTH 343 Abstract Algebra

I need to choose one of the following three (but if more than one would be beneficial I'd like to know):

MTH 323 Mathematical Modeling
MTH 333 Fundamental Concepts of Topology
MTH 338 Non-Euclidean Geometry

I also need to complete at least five of the following:

MTH 483 Complex Variables
MTH 480 Systems of Differential Equations
MTH 434 Introduction to Differential Geometry
MTH 440 Computational Number Theory
MTH 451 Numerical Linear Algebra
MTH 463 Probability I
MTH 430 Metric Spaces and Topology

I'm not terribly concerned about meeting the degree requirements, but selections from these two lists would be appreciated. Furthermore, I would greatly appreciate recommendations on anything else in the previously linked course catalog. I assume that I should take MTH 437 General Relativity, but I don't know if the mathematics involved in relativity are covered extensively in a graduate level physics class.

My schedule makes it difficult for me to sit down with my advisor, and even if I did I don't know if she would be of much help in selecting classes to prepare me for graduate work.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or really any sort of general mathematical concepts that might not be covered in a traditional undergraduate physics curriculum. I can always find the specific class later.

So many juicy classes to take.. why not take an extra year for your degree and complete them all?

The ones that sound the most relevant would be:

Mathematical Modeling (not sure what that covers exactly, though)
Complex Variables (MUST, makes your life so much easier come grad school)
Systems of Differential Equations
Metric Spaces and Topology (Metrics are used extensively in general relativity if I remember correctly)

The rest are give or take. I'm in a similar position and the classes that I was told to take were; complex variables, linear algebra, partial differential equations, more differential equations, tensor calculus, and advanced calculus.

cronxeh said:
So many juicy classes to take.. why not take an extra year for your degree and complete them all?

It is really tempting. All of them look interesting (except for Actuarial Mathematics). But if I took another year for more math electives, I wouldn't graduate until I was 25. Isn't that a little old?

MissSilvy said:
The ones that sound the most relevant would be:

Mathematical Modeling (not sure what that covers exactly, though)
Complex Variables (MUST, makes your life so much easier come grad school)
Systems of Differential Equations
Metric Spaces and Topology (Metrics are used extensively in general relativity if I remember correctly)

The rest are give or take. I'm in a similar position and the classes that I was told to take were; complex variables, linear algebra, partial differential equations, more differential equations, tensor calculus, and advanced calculus.

The description for Mathematical Modeling reads: A variety of mathematical modeling techniques will be introduced. Students will formulate models in response to practical problems drawn from the literature of ecology, environmental sciences, engineering or other fields. Informal writing assignments in class and formal written presentation of the models will be required.

The Department of Math at OSU requires you to take at least one writing-intensive math class to develop your ability to present effectively to students and your peers and whatnot. I suppose I can safely skip Fundamentals of Topology if I'm going to take Metric Spaces and Topology later, but non-Euclidean geometry (another writing-intensive class) sounds too enticing to pass up. Then again if Mathematical Modeling is more relevant I'll go with that. The rest of your suggestions sound like great advice, thank you.

For whatever reason, most undergraduate differential geometry classes are barely an extension of calculus 3, where you'll just be studying surfaces in R^3. I don't think this is terribly useful since it is way too concrete and specific. If you can, I recommend skipping the undergraduate level class and just going straight for whatever graduate level differential or Riemannian geometry class they have (looks like MTH 674, and look it doesn't even require the lower level differential geometry classes!). It won't be that much more difficult and everything you learn can easily by "concretized" to what you would have learned in the undergraduate class anyways. This is what I did and I don't regret it. That will be much more relevant to you if you want to study general relativity/astrophysics in grad school.

Monocles said:
For whatever reason, most undergraduate differential geometry classes are barely an extension of calculus 3, where you'll just be studying surfaces in R^3.
Is that really true? Quite ridiculous if it is.

1. What math classes are required for a Physics degree?

Most Physics degree programs require students to take courses in Calculus I, Calculus II, and Calculus III. Some programs may also require Linear Algebra and Differential Equations.

2. What math classes should I take to excel in my Physics courses?

In addition to the required courses mentioned above, it is recommended for students to also take courses in Multivariable Calculus, Vector Calculus, and Complex Analysis to excel in their Physics courses.

3. Are there any statistics or probability courses that would benefit a Physics degree?

Yes, courses in Statistics and Probability are highly recommended for students pursuing a Physics degree. These courses will help students understand and analyze experimental data, which is an important aspect of Physics research.

4. Can I take extra math courses outside of the required ones?

Definitely! It is always beneficial to take additional math courses, especially if you are interested in pursuing graduate studies in Physics. Some recommended courses include Number Theory, Topology, and Abstract Algebra.

5. Are there any math classes that I can take to fulfill both my major and minor requirements?

Yes, there are often overlapping courses between math and physics, such as Differential Equations, that can fulfill both major and minor requirements. Be sure to check with your academic advisor to see which courses can count towards both your major and minor.