Discover the Power of MathML: Unlock Math Content on the Web

• Thread starter STAii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Web
In summary, the conversation was about a special markup language for math called MathML. The participants discussed the website www.mathmlcentral.com and their experiences with using it. They also mentioned the lack of browser support and the need for a plug-in for IE. They shared resources for more information on MathML, including the w3.org website. They also discussed the potential for wider use and its benefits for expressing math equations.
STAii
I was shocked today by finding a special mark up language for math.
It is called MathML, check out www.mathmlcentral.com (and, yes Wolfram is great !).
Anyone is experienced with this ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nope, this is the first time experiencing it. It looks interesting though.

I tried a few equations in it.
It lacks support from browsers however, I couldn't find anything for Opera. For IE there's a plug-in. If you're interested I'll try to find the address.
You can go to www.w3.org and do a search on "mathml" for additional info.

Yes, i was able to find some articles on mathML on the w3.org site (http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML if anyone wants to know).
But what i was wondering was wether or not people are using this great idea for expressing math expressions. (you know, it is good to havea common, known, used, and which computer can understand and deal with way to express math expressions).
But it seems this is not widely used yet.

Last edited:

1. What is MathML and why is it important for the web?

MathML (Mathematical Markup Language) is a markup language that allows mathematical equations and symbols to be displayed on the web. It is important because it allows math content to be accessible and interactive on various devices and platforms.

2. How does MathML differ from other markup languages like HTML and LaTeX?

Unlike HTML, which is used for general web content, MathML is specifically designed for mathematical equations and symbols. LaTeX is also used for mathematical equations, but it is a typesetting language, while MathML is a markup language that allows for more interactivity and accessibility on the web.

3. Can any web browser display MathML content?

No, not all web browsers have native support for MathML. However, there are plugins and extensions available that can enable MathML support on most browsers.

4. How can MathML make math content more accessible for people with disabilities?

MathML allows for screen readers and other assistive technologies to interpret and read mathematical equations, making it more accessible for people with visual impairments or learning disabilities.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use MathML?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, guides, and forums available for learning MathML. The W3C website also has a comprehensive documentation on MathML for those who want to dive deeper into the language.