Switching from engineering to mathematics

In summary, the individual is switching from aerospace engineering to mathematics due to the desire for a more in-depth understanding of math and its applications in R&D, as well as concerns about their current math abilities. They are not able to pursue a double major or minor due to scheduling conflicts and believe that a solid foundation in math theory is more important than technical knowledge. The individual is seeking advice from math and engineering experts and mentions their background in engineering physics and previous intention to major in math and physics. They are considering taking abstract algebra and mathematical physics/engineering classes to prepare themselves for the transition.
Abraham
I'm switching from aerospace engineering to mathematics.

I'll take any and all advice / suggestions / comments you might have

Here are my reasons:
1.) I feel as if the aero program gives only the bare minimum math
required to get through. I want to go on to grad school in Aero E, and
eventually work in R & D, which I think requires lots of deep math
2.) I feel as if my math ability has weakened considerably
2.) A double major / minor is not possible (scheduling issues)
3.) I would rather have a solid foundation in math/ theory, and find its applications, as
opposed to technical knowledge and knowing only the necessary maths

Here are my concerns:
1.) My algebra is terrible. I'm embarrassed to admit I let my TI-89 manipulate variables / equations, factor terms, etc. I'm sure I could do it by hand, but its definitely not like second nature.

I like math a lot, although I'm not the best at it. I imagine myself being better one day.

I want to know what you think about this. Any math people have advice/ comments? Engineers?

Thanks, I really appreciate itForgot to mention, I'm not in pure math. I'll be doing an applied math track, with math + upper aero courses,
like aerodynamics, gas dynamics, controls, flight dynamics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm currently an engineering physics major and I initially started off as math and physics double major with the intention of going into physics or engineering.

I dropped the math major after I found out that a lot of the material covered in my mathematics classes was very abstract and not very applicable to engineering or physics in any regular capacity. That's not to say that it's not useful just that some of it is a waste of time.

I feel like you could easily prepare yourself mathematically by taking maybe abstract algebra and a mathematical physics/engineering class or two. Most of the real work is in numerical solutions anyways which a mathematical physics/engineering class would teach you how to do.

1. How do the skills and concepts learned in engineering transfer to mathematics?

Many of the skills and concepts learned in engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, are also central to mathematics. In fact, engineering and mathematics often overlap in areas such as applied mathematics and mathematical modeling.

2. Is it difficult to transition from an engineering background to studying mathematics?

The difficulty of the transition can vary depending on the individual and their previous experience with mathematics. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in basic math skills, the transition is definitely achievable.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in mathematics after studying engineering?

There are many career paths available for someone with a mathematics degree, including data analysis, actuarial science, financial analysis, and research. Additionally, many engineering jobs also require a strong understanding of mathematics, making this a valuable combination of skills.

4. Are there any specific courses or areas of mathematics that would be particularly beneficial for an engineer to study?

Courses in applied mathematics, statistics, and mathematical modeling are particularly useful for engineers as they directly apply to real-world problems and scenarios. Additionally, courses in linear algebra and differential equations can also be beneficial for understanding complex engineering systems and processes.

5. How can studying mathematics enhance an engineer's problem-solving abilities?

Studying mathematics can improve an engineer's problem-solving abilities by providing them with a strong foundation in logic and critical thinking skills. Additionally, courses in mathematics often involve tackling complex and abstract problems, which can train engineers to approach problems from different angles and think creatively.