Forces in a Truss: Solve for AB Force

The correct answer should be 36kN.In summary, the conversation was about solving for the force in member AB of a truss by sectioning it through members AB, BE, and EF. The possibility of disregarding the fixed connections at the left was discussed, but ultimately the method of joints was used to solve for the force. It was also noted that a typo in the provided solution resulted in the correct answer being 36kN.
canicon25
[PLAIN]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3825/truss3.jpg
I am having some problems with this one. Can I section the truss through members AB, BE and EF to solve for the force in AB, thus disregarding the fixed connections at left? I suppose I could go join by join, but I would like to section if possible.

Any help would be great.

**MODS Can you move this into the homework section. I just noticed your sticky but already created the thread ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi canicon25! :wink:

have you tried finding the reaction force at A and E, by taking components and moments? :smile:

i used method of joints and went one by one with this one after all. i think the provided solution is an error; i worked out 36kN twice. typo i think.

Yes, typo.

I understand the importance of properly solving for forces in a truss structure. In order to accurately determine the force in member AB, it is important to consider the entire truss system and not just a specific section. While sectioning the truss may seem like a logical approach, it may lead to inaccurate results as it disregards the fixed connections at the left.

I would recommend using a method such as the method of joints or method of sections to solve for the force in AB. These methods take into account the entire truss structure and ensure accurate results. Additionally, it is important to consider the external loads and reactions at the supports when solving for forces in a truss.

I understand the desire to simplify the problem by sectioning the truss, but in the interest of accuracy, it is best to use established methods for solving truss structures. I hope this helps in your analysis and understanding of forces in truss systems.

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a type of structure that consists of interconnected bars or beams that are designed to withstand tension and compression forces.

2. How are forces calculated in a truss?

Forces in a truss are typically calculated using the method of joints, which involves analyzing the forces at each joint in the truss. This method uses the principles of equilibrium and the geometry of the truss to determine the magnitude and direction of each force.

3. What is the purpose of solving for AB force in a truss?

The force in the AB member of a truss is important because it helps to support the overall structure and maintain its stability. Solving for this force allows us to ensure that the truss is strong enough to withstand the loads placed upon it.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the AB force in a truss?

The magnitude of the AB force in a truss can be affected by the geometry of the truss, the type and location of the loads applied, and the material properties of the truss members. It can also be affected by the supports and connections used in the truss.

5. How can we ensure that the AB force in a truss is within safe limits?

To ensure that the AB force in a truss is within safe limits, we must consider the maximum load that the truss is expected to bear and the strength of the truss members. We can also use safety factors and design codes to ensure that the truss is structurally sound and able to withstand the expected loads.