Network Current/Voltage Relationship

In summary: So I'm guessing Iin is zero since there is no current flowing in or out of the node. But if Vin=-V, is Iin still zero? Because if it is, then we would be able to use Ohm's law to calculate current flow through the node, and that would be pretty useful information.
jegues

Homework Statement

See Figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know how to start this problem, I tried cutting out the current source and I'm thinking I should get something like a voltage divider. Does that help in any way?

A slight push to get things rolling would be great!

Attachments

• ivquestion.JPG
    ivquestion.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you try to use superposition theorem? (one source at a time and finally combine effects of all sources)

jegues said:

Homework Statement

See Figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know how to start this problem, I tried cutting out the current source and I'm thinking I should get something like a voltage divider. Does that help in any way?

A slight push to get things rolling would be great!

You can start by plotting a couple discrete points on the graph to start to get a feel for what is going to happen. What is Iin if Vin=0? What is Iin if Vin=V (why does the voltage source have two negative "-" terminals?) ? What is Iin if Vin=(-V)?

Then, I'd just write the KCL equation for the input node, and look to see if you can fill out the rest of the plot using that.

You could also transform the current source into a resistor in series with a voltage source. Then, you'd have a simple set of mesh equations that describe the system.

berkeman said:
You can start by plotting a couple discrete points on the graph to start to get a feel for what is going to happen. What is Iin if Vin=0? What is Iin if Vin=V (why does the voltage source have two negative "-" terminals?) ? What is Iin if Vin=(-V)?

Then, I'd just write the KCL equation for the input node, and look to see if you can fill out the rest of the plot using that.

I'm confused as to what you're referring as Vin. Is that the Voltage across the 2 ports? Or the voltage from the voltage source?

I'm going to assume it's across the ports and try to answer the questions you posted.

If Vin = 0 then Iin = 0 as well no? (Ohm's Law)

I'm not sure what Iin would be if you were to say Vin=V, Iin=V/Req?

The picture I have doesn't show the voltage source with two negative terminals?

If Vin=-V then Iin= -V/Req?

I trying to get my scanner working so I can show you guys what I've got so far using superposition.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

Here is a sketch of my attempt at superposition, I'm still not sure how to work out my answers from this.

Attachments

• ivquestionsuper.JPG
    ivquestionsuper.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 366
[PLAIN]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8938/53238315.jpg

Don't you think it's easier to write two mesh loops with this set up and then use the system of two equations to solve for I1 in terms of some arbitrary Vin?

Last edited by a moderator:
xcvxcvvc said:
[PLAIN]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8938/53238315.jpg

Don't you think it's easier to write two mesh loops with this set up and then use the system of two equations to solve for I1 in terms of some arbitrary Vin?

I've never learned how to do that. I'm trying to learn circuit analysis on my own so I may be missing out of some stuff.

EDIT: Can someone tell me if my current efforts at using superposition are correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
jegues said:
I'm confused as to what you're referring as Vin. Is that the Voltage across the 2 ports? Or the voltage from the voltage source?

I'm going to assume it's across the ports and try to answer the questions you posted.

If Vin = 0 then Iin = 0 as well no? (Ohm's Law)

I'm not sure what Iin would be if you were to say Vin=V, Iin=V/Req?

The picture I have doesn't show the voltage source with two negative terminals?

If Vin=-V then Iin= -V/Req?

I trying to get my scanner working so I can show you guys what I've got so far using superposition.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

Yes, I did mean for Vin and Iin to be at the single port at the left. And no, Iin is not zero when Vin is zero. Why not?

Yes, I did mean for Vin and Iin to be at the single port at the left. And no, Iin is not zero when Vin is zero. Why not?

I'm not really sure.

By looking at the current source I can see the that current will split between two wires and run across R2 and towards the node where i is entering. I'm guessing if part of the current from the current source is entering that node then there must be some current leaving as well. (That would be Iin?)

I'm still not sure how to figure out Iin. As soon as you told me Vin = 0 here is my thought process:

Okay, Ohms law says V = IR, since V = 0; 0 = IR, we know R won't be zero so I must be 0 so I can obtain 0=0.

What part of my understanding do I need to corrected?

jegues said:
I'm not really sure.

By looking at the current source I can see the that current will split between two wires and run across R2 and towards the node where i is entering. I'm guessing if part of the current from the current source is entering that node then there must be some current leaving as well. (That would be Iin?)

I'm still not sure how to figure out Iin. As soon as you told me Vin = 0 here is my thought process:

Okay, Ohms law says V = IR, since V = 0; 0 = IR, we know R won't be zero so I must be 0 so I can obtain 0=0.

What part of my understanding do I need to corrected?

Just picture the Vin=0 case as if you shorted the input terminals. You are correct that there will be no current through the resistor R1, since there is no voltage across it. But what current flows through your short circuit wire? There's current coming from the voltage source on the left through its resistor, and the current source in the middle is an ideal current source -- it puts out its current no matter what the voltage is across it...

berkeman said:
Just picture the Vin=0 case as if you shorted the input terminals. You are correct that there will be no current through the resistor R1, since there is no voltage across it. But what current flows through your short circuit wire? There's current coming from the voltage source on the left through its resistor, and the current source in the middle is an ideal current source -- it puts out its current no matter what the voltage is across it...

Wouldn't the current simply be as follows:

Iin = (V/R2) + I ?

jegues said:
Wouldn't the current simply be as follows:

Iin = (V/R2) + I ?

Yes! Good. So that's one point on your graph.

Now set Vin = V (the same as the voltage source). What does that do to the current through the resistor that is in series with the voltage source? That should give you a 2nd point on the graph.

Then try writing the KCL for the input port. Does that help?

I have to bail for a few hours. Keep it up!

berkeman said:
Yes! Good. So that's one point on your graph.

Now set Vin = V (the same as the voltage source). What does that do to the current through the resistor that is in series with the voltage source? That should give you a 2nd point on the graph.

Then try writing the KCL for the input port. Does that help?

I have to bail for a few hours. Keep it up!

So if I'm setting Vin = V, everything should be the same expect I have current across the first resistor R1.

So,

Iin = I + V/R1 + V/R2 ?

I can't imagine how to write a KCL at the input port I think I'm getting confused from the diagram.

If I have i running from my port into that first node I know it will split accordingly depending on the values of R1 and R2 as well as with respect to the current source running into that node as well.

jegues said:
So if I'm setting Vin = V, everything should be the same expect I have current across the first resistor R1.

So,

Iin = I + V/R1 + V/R2 ?

I can't imagine how to write a KCL at the input port I think I'm getting confused from the diagram.

If I have i running from my port into that first node I know it will split accordingly depending on the values of R1 and R2 as well as with respect to the current source running into that node as well.

First, sorry, I missed a sign error in your previous post. When Vin=0, Iin doesn't equal I, it equals -I. Why?

Second, when Vin=V, why would there be current through R2? Remember, when writing the KCL, you are using voltage differences across resistors...

Alrighty, I was getting real confused so I decided to start from scratch and do a mesh analysis of this circuit and here's what I got. (See Figure)

Now if that is indeed correct how do I go about plotting the i-v curve from that?

Attachments

• meshattempt.JPG
    meshattempt.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 362

What is the network current/voltage relationship?

The network current/voltage relationship is the mathematical relationship between the current flowing through a network and the voltage across it. It describes how the current changes in response to changes in voltage, and vice versa.

What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to the network current/voltage relationship?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it, and inversely proportional to its resistance. It relates to the network current/voltage relationship by providing a way to calculate the current or voltage in a network given the other two variables.

What factors affect the network current/voltage relationship?

The network current/voltage relationship is affected by several factors, including the resistance of the network, the type of materials used, and the temperature of the network. Changes in any of these factors can alter the relationship between current and voltage.

How is the network current/voltage relationship represented graphically?

The network current/voltage relationship can be represented graphically by plotting the current on the y-axis and the voltage on the x-axis. This results in a straight line for Ohm's Law, with the slope representing the resistance of the network.

What is the significance of the network current/voltage relationship in practical applications?

The network current/voltage relationship is crucial in understanding and designing electrical circuits. It allows engineers to predict the behavior of a network and calculate the necessary parameters for its operation. It also helps in troubleshooting and diagnosing problems in electrical systems.