Simple logic diagram-with switch and resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the output being equal to V+ when the switch is open in diagram A, even with no current flowing. The convention of using A (1/0) is also questioned, with the suggestion of applying the voltage divider rule to understand the behavior of the switch. It is explained that resistors do not consume voltage, but they do drop voltage, and the voltage in a circuit loop must total to 0. The conversation also touches on the definition of current and how it is different in a circuit with no resistance, such as between two resistors or between Earth and a resistor.
SyNtHeSiS

Homework Statement

Why is it that the output is equal to V+ (when the switch is open) in diagram A, if there is no current flowing?

Why is it that A (1/0) is used by convention? I mean the lamp I got at home has a "0" for off and "1" for on, on the switch. This is confusing me.

Homework Equations

High= 1
Low = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure at all.

Attachments

• Logic.png
    Logic.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: Apply the voltage divider rule assuming the switch to be a resistor which can have one of two values (∞ or 0) depending on whether it's open or closed.

leave voltage diving rules and others.

very simply,
if upper resistor (called Pull up resistor)-----is present while lower (called Pull down)
resister is not present,
that means that total amount of current coming from power supply V+,
will pass through the o/p node.
thus,
o/p node gets full amount of current coming from power supply V+.

** the reason of your confusion is,
there is no connection made to ground, then how does the current flows through network.
but, there is always a load (or any other network, that is connected to GND obviously.)
so, current flows through that path.

Hope your confusion will be solved.
Best of Luck.

Oh thanks. I also want to know if there is only 1 resistor in a circuit, why is it that the total V+ will be dropped across the resistor, even if V=100V, I mean what if that resistor is small and only consumes a bit of V?

Resistors don't consume V. They flow a current proportional to whatever V is applied to their terminals. They consume power which is V*I.

The voltages in a circuit loop must total to 0.

Antiphon said:
Resistors don't consume V. They flow a current proportional to whatever V is applied to their terminals. They consume power which is V*I.

The voltages in a circuit loop must total to 0.

yes.
that's right.
whenever that type of ckt you will see
you think like a o/p network is attached with it.
this type of ckt is made for this purpose
you think, that without any network or resister at o/p ,
how can you measure the voltage.
even if you measyre with a voltmeter or multi-meter, there will also be a resitor to measure it.
and low resistance case is discussed in just above post.

While resistors don't "consume" voltage they do "drop" voltage. That is why I suggested using the voltage divider rule (substituting a resistance for the switch) and see what happens as you vary the bottom resistance from some finite value down to zero and then up to infinity.

Why also is it that current is defined as I = V/R all over a circuit? As in why is it that the current where the circuit has no resistance different? e.g. voltage line between 2 resistors and line between Earth and a resistor.

SyNtHeSiS said:
Why also is it that current is defined as I = V/R all over a circuit? As in why is it that the current where the circuit has no resistance different? e.g. voltage line between 2 resistors and line between Earth and a resistor.

A real wire has a real (but very small) resistance. So the current flowing through it does generate a small voltage drop. You can figure out how much the drop will be, based on wire resistance tables and the current that is flowing.

Wire resistance table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

What is a simple logic diagram?

A simple logic diagram is a graphical representation of a logical circuit, using symbols to represent different components such as switches, resistors, and wires. It shows how the different components are connected and how the circuit functions.

What is the purpose of a switch in a logic diagram?

A switch in a logic diagram is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It can be either open or closed, allowing or blocking the flow of current respectively. This allows for the control of different functions within the circuit.

What does a resistor do in a logic diagram?

A resistor in a logic diagram is used to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit. It reduces the voltage and prevents damage to other components by dissipating excess energy as heat.

How do you read a simple logic diagram?

A simple logic diagram is read from left to right, following the flow of electricity. The different components are represented by specific symbols, and their connections are shown by lines. The inputs and outputs of the circuit can also be identified by their symbols.

What are some examples of simple logic diagrams?

Some examples of simple logic diagrams include AND, OR, and NOT gates. These are basic building blocks of more complex circuits and are used to perform logical operations such as combining multiple inputs to produce a single output.