No problem, glad I could help!

• Thread starter RajChakrabrty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the main difference between Zener diode and pn junction diode characteristics CURVE is that the breakdown process for Zener diodes is easier due to its higher doping levels, resulting in a lower breakdown voltage. Additionally, Zener diodes are designed specifically for operating in the breakdown region, while pn junction diodes are not. Further information and answers can be found in related threads and online resources.
RajChakrabrty
what are the differences between Zener diode and pn junction diode characteristics CURVE?**
the breakdown process is easier in terms of breakdown voltage for zener diode.
as, it is highly doped.

Physics news on Phys.org
RajChakrabrty said:
what are the differences between Zener diode and pn junction diode characteristics CURVE?

as, it is highly doped.

the only answer I suspect that zener diode breakdown voltage(value) should be shown (according to specification).
but pn junction breakdown voltage will obviously be much higher.

hope for better answer.

RajChakrabrty said:
what are the differences between Zener diode and pn junction diode characteristics CURVE?

as, it is highly doped.

One tip -- you can look at the bottom of the page below, and see Related Threads that have discussed Zener diodes recently here. Click through those threads -- I think you will see some answers to your questions. :smile:

berkeman said:
One tip -- you can look at the bottom of the page below, and see Related Threads that have discussed Zener diodes recently here. Click through those threads -- I think you will see some answers to your questions. :smile:

sorry,
I could not get anything there related to Zener diode.
my fault.

RajChakrabrty said:
sorry,
I could not get anything there related to Zener diode.
my fault.

No, no, not your fault. I thought that a thread that I remembered would be down in that list, but I see now that it does not have the word "Zener" in the thread title, so it would not show up in that list below. This is the thread I was thinking of:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=404789

It discusses Zener breakdown voltage versus doping levels, and there is a link provided to a pretty good information source about Zener diodes. Hope that helps.

berkeman said:
No, no, not your fault. I thought that a thread that I remembered would be down in that list, but I see now that it does not have the word "Zener" in the thread title, so it would not show up in that list below. This is the thread I was thinking of:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=404789

It discusses Zener breakdown voltage versus doping levels, and there is a link provided to a pretty good information source about Zener diodes. Hope that helps.

thank you very much.
I got a pretty good answer there.

1. What is a Zener diode and how does it work?

A Zener diode is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to allow current to flow in both directions. It works by maintaining a constant voltage across its terminals, even as the current changes.

2. What are the key characteristics of a Zener diode?

The key characteristics of a Zener diode include its breakdown voltage, which is the voltage at which it begins to conduct in the reverse direction, and its Zener impedance, which is a measure of its resistance to changes in voltage.

3. What is the difference between a regular diode and a Zener diode?

A regular diode only allows current to flow in one direction, while a Zener diode allows current to flow in both directions. Additionally, a regular diode does not have a well-defined breakdown voltage, while a Zener diode is specifically designed to have a stable breakdown voltage.

4. How is the breakdown voltage of a Zener diode determined?

The breakdown voltage of a Zener diode is determined by its doping concentration and physical structure. A higher doping concentration will result in a lower breakdown voltage, while a lower concentration will result in a higher breakdown voltage.

5. What are some common applications of Zener diodes?

Zener diodes are commonly used in voltage regulation circuits, as well as in surge protection devices. They are also used in electronic circuits to stabilize voltage levels and prevent damage from voltage spikes.