What are the principles of covalent and ionic bonds?

In summary, Ionic bonds occur when an atom reacts with another atom in order to gain a full valence shell. This can be achieved by either losing or gaining electrons. The resulting ions have opposite charges, with the atom that gained an electron becoming negatively charged and the atom that lost an electron becoming positively charged. These opposite charges attract each other and form an ionic bond. However, it's important to note that the classification of bonds as ionic or covalent can be more complicated, as some bonds can be a mix of both types.
LogicalAcid
I have gotten the principles of them down, but I still have some more detail to cover. From what I know about Ionic bonds is the following.
-When an atom reacts with another atom in order to gain a full valence shell, the atom can either lose and electron, or gain one depending on the number of Valence e- it has until a full shell, or an empty shell (therefore making the shell "below'' it the valence shell (which may or may not have a full shell). So once it reacts, if It loses an electron, it forms a positively charged Ion, if it gains one, it becomes a negatively charged Ion. The atom it reacted with may become a Positive Ion, or negative, always the opposite of the atom that reacted with it though. Now that there is both a + ion and a - ion , electrostatic forces cause the two charges to attract therefore forming an ionic bond.

Correct me if need be.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
More or less you are on the right track, although it doesn't have to be one electron (it can be more than one) and in the case of transition metals it becomes much more complicated.

Note: thread title is "covalent and ionic bonds". Be aware that while we can classify bonds as such or such they always are a mix of both types, sometimes nicely dominated by one type (like in NaCl or CH4), but sometimes they are quite difficult to classify.

What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonds?

Covalent bonds occur when two atoms share electrons, while ionic bonds occur when one atom transfers electrons to another.

Which type of bond is stronger, covalent or ionic?

Covalent bonds are generally stronger than ionic bonds because they involve a sharing of electrons rather than a transfer.

What are some examples of compounds with covalent bonds?

Some examples include water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and methane (CH4).

What are some examples of compounds with ionic bonds?

Some examples include sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), and potassium iodide (KI).

Can covalent and ionic bonds exist together in the same compound?

Yes, some compounds may have both covalent and ionic bonds, such as magnesium chloride (MgCl2) which contains both covalent and ionic bonds between magnesium and chlorine atoms.