Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server

In summary: This seems to be a web site that is no longer operational. I do expect to be building circuits to go with it.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been trying to learn about home automation devices that can be controlled from a remote location. Most of what I've read requires that I have a computer running at home and that I send the commands through the computer. I'm trying to figure out if there are devices that I can plug into my router at home that will allow me to send signals directly to devices without requiring that I set up a server.

I recently ran across this Serial to Ethernet device (http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/xport.html") that seems to be what I'm looking for but, I would like to make sure that this is really the right solution before I invest in it.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
That thingie looks like it would be able to connect between the virtual (a browser) and some piece of the physical world, but you would need to do a bunch of hardware and software hacking to, say, turn on a floor lamp.

There are a bunch of home automation products that may do what you want for cheaper with less hacking. This is one: http://www.x10.com/automation/ but be warned that the site looks like an ad from Reader's Digest...

schip666! said:
That thingie looks like it would be able to connect between the virtual (a browser) and some piece of the physical world, but you would need to do a bunch of hardware and software hacking to, say, turn on a floor lamp.

There are a bunch of home automation products that may do what you want for cheaper with less hacking. This is one: http://www.x10.com/automation/ but be warned that the site looks like an ad from Reader's Digest...

I do expect to be building circuits to go with it.

I tried your site and it doesn't load.

1. What is "Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server"?

"Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server" refers to the ability to control various smart devices in your home, such as lights, thermostats, and security systems, without the need for a central server or hub. This means that you can control these devices directly from your smartphone or other remote device, without the need for an intermediary device.

2. How does "Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server" work?

This technology uses a peer-to-peer network, where devices communicate directly with each other instead of through a central server. Each device is assigned a unique IP address, allowing for direct communication and control without the need for a server.

3. What are the benefits of using "Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server"?

One of the main benefits is that you do not need to rely on a central server, which can be expensive, vulnerable to security breaches, and can cause disruptions if it goes down. Additionally, direct device-to-device communication can be faster and more reliable.

4. What types of devices can be controlled using "Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server"?

Most smart home devices that use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth can be controlled using this technology. This includes lights, thermostats, locks, cameras, and more.

5. Is "Remotely Control Home Automation Devices Without a Server" secure?

Yes, this technology uses encryption and secure communication protocols to ensure that your devices and personal information are protected. However, it is still important to follow basic security measures, such as using strong passwords and keeping your devices updated, to further enhance security.