Question on world-sheet-metric

• Thread starter naunzer
  • Start date
In summary, the Polyakov action has three symmetries of the world sheet (reparametrization-invariant, Weyl invariant) which can be used to take the worldsheet metric into the form diag(1,-1), making it a flat space. However, when visualizing the worldsheet of a vibrating string, the corresponding worldsheet is no longer flat due to the bulges in the oscillating direction. The vibration and other movements of the string appear on the worldsheet as potentials, which vary locally as the string moves through different points and moments in its history. Despite this, the worldsheet is still considered locally flat.
naunzer
What I understand mathematically:
The Polyakov action has three symmetries of the world sheet(reparametrization-inv.,Weyl inv.). These can be used to take the worldsheet metric into the form diag(1,-1), i. e. it is a flat space.

But I don't understand that when I try to visualize the worldsheet of a string oszillating in some (spacelike) direction because the corresponding worldsheet is not flat then anymore. There are these bulgs in the oszillating direction which make the shape of the worldsheet not a flat one.

?
Please help me out.

If you can't (or don't want to) my questions, maybe you know some forum or text where it can be infered but please don't tell me the standard answer to browse the arXiv or Green, Schwarz, bla bla bla.
Just tell me references where you know that I can find an answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
naunzer said:
What I understand mathematically:
The Polyakov action has three symmetries of the world sheet(reparametrization-inv.,Weyl inv.). These can be used to take the worldsheet metric into the form diag(1,-1), i. e. it is a flat space.

But I don't understand that when I try to visualize the worldsheet of a string oszillating in some (spacelike) direction because the corresponding worldsheet is not flat then anymore. There are these bulgs in the oszillating direction which make the shape of the worldsheet not a flat one.

?
Please help me out.

If you can't (or don't want to) my questions, maybe you know some forum or text where it can be infered but please don't tell me the standard answer to browse the arXiv or Green, Schwarz, bla bla bla.
Just tell me references where you know that I can find an answer.

First of all, when the STRING vibrates, the worldsheet doesn't move, it is the history of the string, just as the worldline of a particle is the history of the particle. Secondly the vibration and other movements of the string appear on the world sheet as potentials. The spatial coordinates that the string passes through are the potentials X^mu which appear in the equations. From point to point on the worldsheet, that is at different points in the string's history, these potentials vary, because a) you are at a different part of the string, and b) at a different moment of that point's history.

Locally the worldsheet is flat, as the worldline of a point is locally flat.

I never claimed that the worldsheet is moving when the string moves. It's clear to me that is the history of the string.

I know that the X^mu are scalar fields when viewed from the worldsheet and that they are the embedding functions of the string when viewed from the spacetime. Of course they vary science they describe the worldsheet, i.e. more than one point and therefore the functions X^mu are not constant (as you can see from the solutions of the eqns of motion).
But, that does not say that the worldsheet is flat. That it is locally flat is clear science every diffeomorphism invariant manifold is locally isomorphic to an R^n.

1. What is a world-sheet-metric?

A world-sheet-metric is a mathematical concept used in string theory and other branches of theoretical physics. It is a metric tensor that describes the geometry of a two-dimensional surface, also known as a world-sheet, in a higher-dimensional space. This metric is used to calculate distances and angles on the world-sheet, which is essential in understanding the behavior of strings and other objects in the space-time continuum.

2. How is a world-sheet-metric different from a space-time metric?

A world-sheet-metric is specifically used to describe the geometry of a two-dimensional surface, while a space-time metric is used to describe the geometry of a four-dimensional space-time. The world-sheet-metric is used in string theory, while the space-time metric is used in general relativity. Additionally, the world-sheet-metric is a Riemannian metric, while the space-time metric is a pseudo-Riemannian metric.

3. What is the importance of the world-sheet-metric in string theory?

The world-sheet-metric is crucial in understanding the dynamics of strings in space-time. It allows for the calculation of distances and angles on the world-sheet, which is necessary in determining the behavior of strings and other objects. It also plays a role in determining the equations of motion for strings, which are essential in understanding the fundamental properties of string theory.

4. How is the world-sheet-metric calculated?

The world-sheet-metric is calculated using the Polyakov action, which is a mathematical expression used to describe the dynamics of strings. This action includes terms for both the space-time metric and the world-sheet-metric, which allows for the calculation of the latter. The world-sheet-metric can also be calculated using other techniques, such as conformal field theory and perturbation theory.

5. What are some applications of the world-sheet-metric?

The world-sheet-metric has various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in string theory. It is used to study the properties of strings, such as their interactions and scattering amplitudes. It is also used in the study of other objects, such as branes, which are extended objects in space-time. Additionally, the world-sheet-metric has applications in other fields, such as quantum field theory and cosmology.