Maximum Working Voltage of a Capacitor

In summary, a parallel-plate capacitor with plates of 38.1 cm2 area separated by a 29.0 μm layer of Pyrex glass has a capacitance of C=(Kappa*Epsilon*A)/d. Its maximum working voltage is determined by the breakdown voltage of the Pyrex glass, which can be found by looking up its dielectric strength in V/m.
tomrja

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has plates with 38.1 cm2 area separated by a 29.0 μm layer of Pyrex glass.

(a) Find its capacitance.
(b) Find its maximum working voltage.

Kappa for pyrex glass is = 5.6
A= 38.1 cm^2 = 3.81*10^-3 m^2
d= 29*10^-6 m

Homework Equations

C=(Kappa*Epsilon*A)/d

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten the answer to part a by just plugging and chugging with the equation C=(Kappa*Epsilon*A)/d. For the second part I don't understand how to calculate the maximum voltage if I don't have a charge (Q). I'm sure there is some way to manipulate these equations. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
tomrja said:
I have gotten the answer to part a by just plugging and chugging with the equation C=(Kappa*Epsilon*A)/d. For the second part I don't understand how to calculate the maximum voltage if I don't have a charge (Q). I'm sure there is some way to manipulate these equations. Any help?

The maximum working voltage will be determined by the breakdown voltage of the dielectric. More specifically, the maximum field strength it can sustain before it breaks down and shorts the capacitor.

Dielectric strength is given in V/m, just like the electric field between the plates (hint, hint).

Look up the dielectric strength of Pyrex glass.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

What is the maximum working voltage of a capacitor?

The maximum working voltage of a capacitor refers to the highest voltage that a capacitor can safely withstand without experiencing damage or failure.

Why is the maximum working voltage important?

The maximum working voltage is important because exceeding it can cause the capacitor to break down and potentially lead to circuit failure or damage. It is important to choose a capacitor with a maximum working voltage that is higher than the voltage in the circuit.

How is the maximum working voltage determined?

The maximum working voltage is determined by the materials and construction of the capacitor. It is typically listed in the capacitor's datasheet and is based on the insulation materials and thickness used in its design.

What happens if the maximum working voltage is exceeded?

If the maximum working voltage is exceeded, the capacitor can experience a phenomenon called dielectric breakdown, which can cause it to fail or even explode. This can also cause damage to the circuit or other components.

Can the maximum working voltage be increased?

No, the maximum working voltage is determined by the design and materials of the capacitor and cannot be increased. If a higher voltage is needed, a different capacitor with a higher maximum working voltage should be used.