Custom made Lagragian and Help Wanted

• Thread starter jfy4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagragian
In summary, the Lagrangian looks like this: -\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\psi}_a}=-\frac{d}{d\tau}\left(\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mathcal{L}}\left(\int \partial_{\dot{\psi}_a}\dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}C^{\dagger}_bC_a\dot{\psi}_a d\tau + \int \dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}\partial_{\dot{\psi}
jfy4
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in forming Lagrange's equations of motion using a Lagrangian I made up today. It looks like this:
[tex]\mathcal{L}(\dot{\psi},\psi)=\sqrt{\langle \dot{\psi}_b|C^{\dagger}_bC_a|\dot{\psi}_a\rangle}[/tex]

where [tex]C^{\dagger}_b[/tex] is a creation operator for a basis [tex]b[/tex] etc... and a dot represents a full derivative with respect to some parametrization [tex]\tau[/tex].

Now there is no [tex]\psi[/tex] dependence so I believe I am only interested in this part:
[tex]-\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\psi}_a}=0[/tex]

I have gotten this far:
[tex]-\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\psi}_a}=-\frac{d}{d\tau}\left(\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mathcal{L}}\left(\int \partial_{\dot{\psi}_a}\dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}C^{\dagger}_bC_a\dot{\psi}_a d\tau + \int \dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}\partial_{\dot{\psi}_a}(C^{\dagger}_bC_a)\dot{\psi}_a d\tau + \int \dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}C^{\dagger}_bC_a\partial_{\dot{\psi}_a}\dot{\psi}_a d\tau\right)\right)=0.[/tex]

The first partial turns to 0 i think, the second partial I'm not sure how to interpret, but I think it's zero too because of no [tex]\dot{\psi}_a[/tex] dependence and the last partial I believe is 1. Anyone got a comment on accuracy or how to clean it up any better?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear from your notation what [itex] \mathcal{L}(\dot{\psi},\psi)=\sqrt{\langle \dot{\psi}_b|C^{\dagger}_bC_a|\dot{\psi}_a\rangle} [/itex] means. Are we to interpret the Lagrangian as being the square-root of some quadratic form of your dynamical variables [itex]\psi[/itex]? Typically, the bra and ket notations are reserved for quantum mechanics; not classical lagrangian mechanics.

Yes, I had in mind the scalar product between those two vectors with the square root. After turning the first two partials to zero, I made this progress with the last integral. I integrated by parts:

[tex]\int\dot{\psi}_{b}^{\ast}C_{b}^{\dagger}C_a d\tau=\psi_{b}^{\ast}C_{b}^{\dagger}C_a-\int \psi_{b}^{\ast}\frac{d}{d\tau}(C_{b}^{\dagger}C_a) d\tau=\psi_{b}^{\ast}C_{b}^{\dagger}C_a-\int \psi_{b}^{\ast}\frac{dC_{b}^{\dagger}}{d\tau}C_a d\tau-\int \psi_{b}^{\ast}C_{b}^{\dagger}\frac{dC_a}{d\tau} d\tau[/tex]

any other suggestions?

1. What is a custom made Lagrangian?

A custom made Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and velocity. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of complex systems.

2. How is a custom made Lagrangian different from a standard Lagrangian?

A custom made Lagrangian is specifically tailored to a particular system, while a standard Lagrangian is a general expression that can be applied to a variety of systems. Custom made Lagrangians are often more accurate and efficient in describing the dynamics of a system.

3. Why would someone need a custom made Lagrangian?

A custom made Lagrangian is necessary when a standard Lagrangian is unable to accurately describe the dynamics of a system. This may be due to the complexity of the system or the presence of unique constraints or forces.

4. What is meant by "Help Wanted" in relation to a custom made Lagrangian?

"Help Wanted" refers to the need for assistance in creating a custom made Lagrangian. This may involve collaboration with other scientists or engineers, or the use of specialized software or techniques.

5. Can a custom made Lagrangian be used in any field of science?

Yes, a custom made Lagrangian can be used in any field of science where there is a need to model the dynamics of a system. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and applied mathematics, but can also be applied to other fields such as biology and economics.