How common is research where the student (undergrad or grad) has to find the tool to

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of research and the various aspects involved, such as finding the right question, identifying and using appropriate tools, and developing new tools when necessary. The idea of outsourcing research work to a student is also mentioned, but it is argued that it may not always be efficient. The conversation also mentions the use of analogies in finding and adapting tools, and provides an example of this in mathematics.
Simfish
Gold Member
Searching for the tool often takes a lot of time, so the professor is often better off outsourcing the work to the student (and the student can often take advantage of his Web 2.0 connections).

I'm just curious. I actually think that this is the type of research that I would do best at, since I tend to be resourceful

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure I understand the question, because there appear to be some incorrect implications in it.

First off, you can't expect an increase in efficiency by 'outsourcing' research work to a student. As with any job a veteran is generally more efficient than a rookie.

Finding a 'tool' - particularly once you know what you're looking for - is often the easy part of the research. Identifying the correct tool and then mastering it's use are the hard parts. And most of the time, in my experience anyway, the tool doesn't exist and so you have to develop it.

Also, professors can surf Facebook just as easily their students can.

as already said there are several aspects to research: finding the interesting question, determining whether an existing tool suffices to attack it, using the tool to do the computation, or creating or modifying a tool that is adequate to the job. In pure mathematics these tools are abstract ones. One seldom finds an appropriate tool ready to hand, since in that case the problem would already have been solved by someone unless the problem had not been thought of. The method of analogy however can suggest to one that a tool already used on an other problem is appropriate if one can see the resemblance between the two problems, the old one and the new one. So it is possible to be the first person to realize that an available tool suits a given problem. E.g. Gerhard Frey noticed that a solution to Fermat's problem would lead to an anomaly in the area of modular forms. But ti still remained to create a lot of tools to pursue this.

In a recent paper a colleague and I gave a second proof of a conjecture about theta functions that had been proved earlier using the standard tool of the heat equation. We used instead the tool of deformation of singularities. This theory existed but we had to adapt it to the problem.

First off, you can't expect an increase in efficiency by 'outsourcing' research work to a student. As with any job a veteran is generally more efficient than a rookie.

Finding a 'tool' - particularly once you know what you're looking for - is often the easy part of the research. Identifying the correct tool and then mastering it's use are the hard parts. And most of the time, in my experience anyway, the tool doesn't exist and so you have to develop it.

That's true. The thing with finding a tool, though, is that you don't always know how long it will take you. And due to this uncertainty, you might consider outsourcing the work to a student so that you won't have to waste your super-limited time trying to find it yourself. Yes, that's true - the tool often doesn't exist, in which case the student often has to develop it himself (which is what I had to do a couple of times).

It's true that professors can browse Facebook just as easily. But it also takes time to browse through all sorts of online media just to find the right tool.

as already said there are several aspects to research: finding the interesting question, determining whether an existing tool suffices to attack it, using the tool to do the computation, or creating or modifying a tool that is adequate to the job. In pure mathematics these tools are abstract ones. One seldom finds an appropriate tool ready to hand, since in that case the problem would already have been solved by someone unless the problem had not been thought of. The method of analogy however can suggest to one that a tool already used on an other problem is appropriate if one can see the resemblance between the two problems, the old one and the new one. So it is possible to be the first person to realize that an available tool suits a given problem. E.g. Gerhard Frey noticed that a solution to Fermat's problem would lead to an anomaly in the area of modular forms. But ti still remained to create a lot of tools to pursue this.

In a recent paper a colleague and I gave a second proof of a conjecture about theta functions that had been proved earlier using the standard tool of the heat equation. We used instead the tool of deformation of singularities. This theory existed but we had to adapt it to the problem.

Ah, thanks for the example. :) That's quite nicely written. Yeah, oftentimes people will create the tools (which are then often known as lemmas)

and enjoy the challenge of finding new tools.

I understand the importance of utilizing the most effective and up-to-date tools for research. However, I also believe that it is important for students to develop the skills of finding and evaluating these tools for themselves.

While it may seem more efficient for a professor to outsource this task to a student, I believe that the process of searching for and evaluating tools is a valuable learning experience for the student. It allows them to develop critical thinking skills and become more independent researchers.

Additionally, with the vast amount of resources available through Web 2.0 connections, students have the opportunity to discover and utilize a wide range of tools that may not have been previously known to the professor. This can lead to innovative and diverse research approaches.

In my opinion, it is important for students to be actively involved in the process of finding and utilizing tools for research. It not only enhances their skills, but also contributes to the overall advancement of scientific knowledge.

1. How common is it for students to have to find their own research tools?

It is quite common for students, both undergrad and grad, to have to find their own research tools. This is because research often requires specialized tools and equipment that may not be readily available in a classroom or lab setting.

2. What types of tools do students typically have to find for their research?

The types of tools students have to find for their research can vary greatly depending on their field of study. Some common examples include software programs, lab equipment, data collection devices, and specialized materials or chemicals.

3. Is finding research tools a difficult task for students?

Finding research tools can be challenging for students, especially if they are not familiar with the resources available in their field or if the tools they need are not easily accessible. However, with proper guidance and support from their mentors and peers, students can successfully find the tools they need for their research.

4. Are there any resources available to help students find research tools?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students find research tools. These can include online databases, academic journals, professional networks, and mentorship programs. Students can also reach out to their professors or colleagues for recommendations and guidance.

5. How can students ensure they find the best tool for their research?

To ensure they find the best tool for their research, students should thoroughly research and compare different options, seek advice and recommendations from experts in their field, and consider the specific needs and goals of their research project. It may also be helpful to conduct a trial or test run of the tool before committing to using it for their research.