Does consciousness survive death? A BBC investigation.

• Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
In summary: All well and good, but I'd like some sources to back all of this up. Preferably published papers and not just anecdotal evidence.I can't prove to you what I have told you, but I can promise you that it has come from people who have credentials. These are two good book that I recently read on the subject.https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061452572/?tag=pfamazon01-20https://www.amazon.com/dp/0743436598/?tag=pfamazon01-20
pftest said:
I see the problem. Please read my posts without thinking that I am trying to support Forestman's views or that i am claiming what he claims. I am merely putting a few scientific sources on the table, and, as i mentioned, I am not convinced either way.

Your initial post here jumps into support forestman's claim of "consciousness surviving death", which you have continued to do throughout this thread.

So far, I have not seen anything in the papers provided that is even remotely relevant to this. Support for NDE's happening at the point of nearly dying, certainly. But nothing to support the initial claims. This is where my problem stems. Claims made and evidence provided aren't discussing the same thing.

@Ivan: There is a lot of confusion here, but I hope you understand my point above and it clarifies my stance in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm locking this until I've had time to review the information in detail. I was in PF withdrawal and needed some play time today.

<h2>1. What is consciousness?</h2><p>Consciousness refers to the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is often described as the subjective experience of being alive and having a sense of self.</p><h2>2. Is there scientific evidence that consciousness can survive death?</h2><p>There is currently no scientific evidence that consciousness can survive death. While some people believe in the concept of an afterlife, it is not a scientifically proven phenomenon.</p><h2>3. What is the BBC investigation about?</h2><p>The BBC investigation explores the possibility of consciousness surviving death through various perspectives, including scientific, religious, and philosophical viewpoints. It also examines the evidence and arguments for and against this idea.</p><h2>4. Can near-death experiences be considered as evidence for consciousness surviving death?</h2><p>Near-death experiences are often cited as evidence for consciousness surviving death. However, these experiences can be explained by physiological and psychological factors and do not provide conclusive evidence for an afterlife.</p><h2>5. What do scientists say about the survival of consciousness after death?</h2><p>Most scientists do not believe in the survival of consciousness after death. They argue that there is no scientific basis or evidence to support this idea and that it goes against our current understanding of the brain and consciousness.</p>

1. What is consciousness?

Consciousness refers to the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is often described as the subjective experience of being alive and having a sense of self.

2. Is there scientific evidence that consciousness can survive death?

There is currently no scientific evidence that consciousness can survive death. While some people believe in the concept of an afterlife, it is not a scientifically proven phenomenon.

3. What is the BBC investigation about?

The BBC investigation explores the possibility of consciousness surviving death through various perspectives, including scientific, religious, and philosophical viewpoints. It also examines the evidence and arguments for and against this idea.

4. Can near-death experiences be considered as evidence for consciousness surviving death?

Near-death experiences are often cited as evidence for consciousness surviving death. However, these experiences can be explained by physiological and psychological factors and do not provide conclusive evidence for an afterlife.

5. What do scientists say about the survival of consciousness after death?

Most scientists do not believe in the survival of consciousness after death. They argue that there is no scientific basis or evidence to support this idea and that it goes against our current understanding of the brain and consciousness.