What is the work done by kinetic friction on a desk pushed on a rough surface?

In summary, the problem involves Amadeus pushing a desk on a rough wooden floor with a coefficient of static friction of 0.800 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.620. The desk has a mass of 94.0 kg and Amadeus pushes just enough to barely get the desk moving. He continues pushing with that force for 6.00 seconds. The question asks for the work done by the force of kinetic friction during this time. To solve the problem, we first find the acceleration of the desk using the formula a = g(us – uk). Then, using the formula d = ½*a*t^2, we find the distance traveled by the desk. Finally, using the formula W = F
d.tran103

Homework Statement

In the above problem, Amadeus pushed horizontally on a desk that rests on a rough wooden floor. The coefficient of static friction between the desk and the floor is 0.800 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.620. The desk has a mass of 94.0 kg. He pushes just hard enough to barely get the desk moving and continues pushing with that force for 6.00 s. What work was done by the force of kinetic friction during this time?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey, I've been working on this problem for an hour and can't figure this out. Can someone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

One way to go is to figure out how far the desk travels in the given time. (Figure out the acceleration of the desk.)

Okay I got it now, my friend helped me. I was using the wrong formula.

a = sum of forces/sum of masses
a = us*mg – uk*mg/m
a = g(us – uk)
a = 9.8(0.800 – 0.620)
a = 1.764

d = ½*a*t^2
d = ½*1.764*6^2
d = 31.752

So, a = 1.764 and d = 31.752

F = us*mg
F = 0.800*94*9.8
F = 736.96

W = F*D
W = 736.96*31.752
W = 2.34e-4 Joules

What is force displacement?

Force displacement is a term used in physics to describe the movement of an object in relation to a force applied to it. It is typically measured in units of meters (m) or centimeters (cm) and is a key factor in determining the work done on an object.

How is force displacement calculated?

Force displacement is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The formula for force displacement is F x d, where F represents force and d represents displacement.

What is work in relation to force displacement?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it. In other words, work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move.

What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit for work is the joule (J), named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton (N) is applied to an object and moves it a distance of one meter (m) in the direction of the force.

How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or from one form to another. In other words, work is a way of measuring the amount of energy used to move an object. The unit of measurement for both work and energy is the joule (J).