OUNT OF ENERGY LOST IN COMPTON SCATTERING EXPERIMENT

In summary, the conversation is discussing a Compton type experiment and trying to determine the incident energy of X-rays scattered through 90 degrees with a one percent reduction in energy. The equation used is dL=h/mc (1-cos angle) and a quadratic equation is obtained. However, there is an error in the calculation of the final energy and a correct method is suggested. The key is to calculate the recoil angle of the electron and plug it into the Compton formula.
Bobster
Any ideas how to do this question ?

In a Compton type experiment X-rays scattered through 90 degrees suffered one percent reduction in energy.What was the incident energy of the X-rays ? You can assume that the electron coiled non-relativistically.

Any help would be really appreciated ! :smile:

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh by the way,i used the equation :

dL=h/mc (1-cos angle)

and i got dL=2.43 E -12

Since the energy reduction is 1 % i did

hc/L-hc/L' =0.01

and L'=L+2.43 E -12

so we end up with a quadratic :

L^2 - (2.43 E -12)L-(4.83 E -35)=0

Solving I got, L= O or -2.43 E -12

Hence incident energy is hc/0 or hc/-2.43 E -12

=> energy =infinity or hc/(-2.43 E -12). :confused:

Now is this total rubbish,or am I getting somewhere ? :bugeye:

Cheers for any help !
Bob

I believe you made an error when calculating the final energy (and hence wavelength) of the X-ray. Do it like this. The final energy of the X-ray [tex]E_f = 0.99E_i[/tex] where the i stands for "initial". Now use the Einstein relation for the energy of a photon: [tex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex] to figure out the relationship between the final and initial wavelengths of the X-rays. You shouldn't get any type of quadratic term in [tex]\lambda[/tex]

Thanks mate ! that was exactly my mistake.I can't believe I made that error :cry: but oh well !. :rolleyes:

Cheers again !

This world needs more people like :approve: you

Bobster said:
Any ideas how to do this question ?

In a Compton type experiment X-rays scattered through 90 degrees suffered one percent reduction in energy.What was the incident energy of the X-rays ? You can assume that the electron coiled non-relativistically.

Any help would be really appreciated ! :smile:

Bob
I think the key is to get the recoil angle of the electron. It is almost 45 degrees ([itex]tan\theta = .99[/itex]). Plug that into the Compton formula and you will get the magnitude of the wavelength change. That change represents a loss of one percent of the original energy.

AM

1. What is the Compton Scattering Experiment?

The Compton Scattering Experiment is a scientific experiment that was conducted by Arthur Compton in 1923 to study the nature of X-rays and their interaction with matter. This experiment showed that X-rays behave like particles and can be scattered by electrons, providing evidence for the dual nature of light.

2. How does the Compton Scattering Experiment work?

The Compton Scattering Experiment involves shooting a beam of X-rays at a target material, such as a block of graphite. The X-rays interact with the electrons in the material, causing them to scatter at different angles. By measuring the angle and energy of the scattered X-rays, scientists can determine the wavelength of the X-rays and gain insight into their properties.

3. What is the significance of the Compton Scattering Experiment in modern physics?

The Compton Scattering Experiment was a crucial experiment in the development of modern physics. It provided evidence for the particle nature of X-rays and helped to refine our understanding of the dual nature of light. This experiment also laid the foundation for the study of quantum mechanics and the development of new technologies such as X-ray imaging and spectroscopy.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Compton Scattering Experiment?

The Compton Scattering Experiment has numerous practical applications in various fields. In medicine, it is used in X-ray imaging techniques to create detailed images of the body's internal structures. In astronomy, it is used to study the composition and properties of celestial objects. It is also used in materials science to analyze the structure of materials and in nuclear physics to study the properties of atomic nuclei.

5. Are there any other experiments related to Compton Scattering?

Yes, there are several other experiments related to Compton Scattering. One example is the inverse Compton scattering experiment, where high-energy electrons are scattered by low-energy photons, producing X-rays. Another related experiment is the Mössbauer effect, which studies the recoilless emission and absorption of gamma rays by atomic nuclei. Both of these experiments build upon the principles established by the original Compton Scattering Experiment.