Can someone please tell me why my Ti can't solve this matrix?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with using ref() or rref() on a matrix with more entries than vectors. The TI-84 Guidebook states that the number of columns must be greater than or equal to the number of rows for these functions to work. The conversation also suggests referring to the user manual for specific instructions on using these functions on different TI calculators.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Let's say I have more entries than vectors and I put them in a matrix. Now for some reason when I put rref(A) or ref(A), it gives me an error. WHYY?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give us an example? And what error does it output, exactly?

This is probably obvious, but according to the TI-84 Guidebook, when using ref( or rref(, "the number of columns must be greater than or equal to the number of rows."

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Let's say I have more entries than vectors and I put them in a matrix. Now for some reason when I put rref(A) or ref(A), it gives me an error. WHYY?
What do you mean by "more entries than vectors"?

Let's say I have

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
3 &1 \\
5&7 \\
1 &3
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

My Ti- gives me an error

Anyone...?

You didn't say what kind of TI calculator you have. According to eumyang, the TI 84 manual says that matrices must have more columns than rows. Have you looked at the user manual for your calculator?

1. Why is my Ti calculator not able to solve this matrix?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the matrix is too large or complex for the calculator to handle. Another possibility is that the calculator's settings are not optimized for matrix calculations. Finally, it is possible that there is an error in the input or the calculator's software.

2. How do I know if my Ti calculator is capable of solving matrices?

Most Ti calculators have a matrix function, so they should be able to handle basic matrix calculations. However, it is important to check the specific model's manual or online specifications to see the maximum size and complexity of matrices it can handle.

3. Is there a specific method or formula I need to use to solve matrices on my Ti calculator?

Yes, there are several methods for solving matrices on a Ti calculator, such as Gaussian elimination and inverse matrices. It is important to understand and follow the correct steps for the method you choose, as well as ensure the calculator is set up properly for matrix calculations.

4. Can I get an error message if my Ti calculator can't solve a matrix?

Yes, if there is an issue with the matrix or the calculator's settings, it is possible to receive an error message. This could indicate that the matrix is too large or complex, there is an error in the input, or the calculator's software is not functioning properly.

5. What should I do if my Ti calculator cannot solve a matrix?

If you are unable to solve a matrix on your Ti calculator, try double-checking the input and the calculator's settings. If the problem persists, you may need to consult the manual or seek assistance from the manufacturer or a fellow user. It is also possible that the matrix is too large or complex for the calculator to handle, in which case you may need to use a more powerful calculator or a computer program for matrix calculations.