Efficiently Including PS and JPG Files in Latex: A How-To Guide

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter ed2288
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of including both .ps and .jpg files in a latex file. The speaker is having trouble with pixelated images and is wondering if there is a way to include both file types. They receive suggestions to use the \include function and to use a program called ebb to extract bounding boxes. They also express gratitude to the contributors for helping to solve their issue.
ed2288
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could clarify how to put both .ps and .jpg files in the same latex file.

At the minute I'm having to convert all my .jpgs to .ps using photoshop then compiling my latex file by going Latex->PS->PDF. However all my converted jpgs look all pixelated and frankly pretty rubbish.

*Surely* there must be a way to include both .jpgs and .ps files, people need to do this all the time.

When I try to include jpgs I get error messages saying no Bounding Box. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "include both .jpgs and .ps files" does that mean that you're actually using the \include function? If so, there's your problem: ps is postscript, which LaTeX will include in your actual document (it just so happens that your .ps codes for an image, so things happily chug along).

If so, take a look at some of the examples here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Importing_Graphics#Images_as_Figures

Don't forget to \usepackage{graphicx}!

If not, well, I've never run into that particular problem before--can you post the offending code?

Just want to post a quick thankyou to contributors in this thread. I've been having problems importing gifs into a pdf via latex and you have fixed my problem(s). I'm just converting jpgs to eps's and following what ed2288 and matlabdude suggest. The resultant image isn't perfect but is fit for purpose. Thanks.

for your question! Including both .ps and .jpg files in a latex document can be done easily using the graphicx package. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it efficiently:

1. Make sure you have the graphicx package included in your document preamble by adding the following line: \usepackage{graphicx}

2. Convert all your .jpg files to .eps format using a converter tool, such as the free online tool "Convertio" or the software "ImageMagick". This will ensure that your images maintain their quality when included in the latex document.

3. Place all your .eps files in a separate folder within your project folder. This will make it easier to keep track of your images and prevent any errors when including them in the document.

4. In your latex document, use the following command to include your .eps images: \includegraphics{folder_name/image_name.eps}. Make sure to replace "folder_name" with the name of the folder where your images are located and "image_name" with the name of your image file.

5. To include .ps files, use the same command as above but replace ".eps" with ".ps".

6. Compile your latex document using the command Latex->PDF. This will automatically convert your .eps and .ps files to .pdf format, ensuring that your images are included in the final document.

By following these steps, you should be able to efficiently include both .ps and .jpg files in your latex document without any loss of quality. I hope this helps and happy writing!

1. What is the best way to include PS and JPG files in Latex?

The most efficient way to include PS and JPG files in Latex is by using the graphicx package. This package allows for easy inclusion of external graphics files in your Latex document.

2. Can I include both PS and JPG files in the same Latex document?

Yes, you can include both PS and JPG files in the same Latex document. The graphicx package supports multiple file formats, including PS and JPG.

3. Do I need to convert my PS files to EPS before including them in Latex?

No, it is not necessary to convert your PS files to EPS before including them in Latex. The graphicx package can handle both PS and EPS files.

4. How do I adjust the size and position of the included graphics in Latex?

The graphicx package provides commands for adjusting the size and position of included graphics. These commands include \includegraphics, \scalebox, and \rotatebox.

5. Can I include PS and JPG files in Latex on any operating system?

Yes, the graphicx package can be used to include PS and JPG files in Latex on any operating system. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.